Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO? >

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

I want to start off by saying this is just a question and I am not trying to say either of these are right or wrong. Just wondering what people think. These are two different high fence situations that really are very different. What do think?

1. What about the high fenced, up to a couple hundred acres that buys trophy class animals for someone to pick out and shoot?

My opinion is that this is not a real hunt. It's like going shopping for an animal to put on your wall and brag about.

2. What about the high fenced plantation who owns several thousand acres and fenced it in and manages the deer herd which already inhabited the land? They don't buy animals to stock the property but instill a very good management program to maintain the hurd they have.

My opinion. I don't know how I feel on this one. I like it for the management part and I like that they don't buy animals for people to choose from.

What's your opinion?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

I'm not in favor of a small fence "hunt". If the enclosure is large enough, a few thousand acres depending on the terrain, I dont have any problem with it, also if they want to stock some genetically superior brood stock in the enclosure there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

These are totally different situations! One is a "canned hunt" pure and simple! The other, several thousand acres, thats fair enough for me! I'll grant you that your chances on a big, high fenced area are going to better than average. But you are probably going to pay a better than average fee to hunt a place like that. I'm not one that is going to pay that much, but not everyone has the time to put into scouting and hunting the average open land or cheaper places. Some are not "trophy hunters," they just want a good chance to score on a good deer and have fun in a shorter time frame, and less effort.
So, to sum it up, "high fence" is not always "canned hunting." My only peeve is that some of these folks like to make out like they are trophy hunters, when they are not!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

If a farmer has ten, a thousand, or ten thousand acres fenced in, is he still a farmer?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Typical Buck

Every peson has their own idea of a great hunt, and on a large enough enclosed hunting area, with truely wild game, plenty of cover/terrainto make it halfway challenging itcan be considerdhunting. A total canned hunt should not be confused with hunting though, it is just shooting. Personally I prefer to hunt miles from the nearest fence of any kind, but not all hunters are fortunate live in an area with as many public land opportunities.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

dude, you know this is just going to start an argument, you should have never made a post about it![:@]
Old 06-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

dude, you know this is just going to start an argument, you should have never made a post about it![:@]
Agreed totally!! Ten acres fenced, or ten thousand, it's a fenced hunt, and I use the term " hunt " very loosely. To each his own.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair chase is my benchmark. In the first case it is simply a canned hunt and nothing more. The animals have no reasonable chance of excaping and the killing could be compared to a livestock dealer harvesting an animal. This is not hunting regardless of what type of animal is killed. In the second case if sufficient space is fenced with the fence not inhibiting the animals from living a normal life then I don't have a problem with it. A 10,000 acre fenced property still allows for the normal movement and excape of wildgame animals.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither one is for me. 200 acres or 2000 acres, there's still a fence to not allow the animals to roam free. Its just not my style for hunting.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

The funny part about that logic is allland has a fence somewhere. If you go far enough you will come to a fence.

Quick Reply: 2 high fence senarios. Yes or NO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.