Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My high fence experience >

My high fence experience

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My high fence experience

Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Default My high fence experience

GMMAT:
After reading about your feelings re: high fence hunting I had to submit mine.....
Last year my new father in law called me and offered to take me to his brother's trophy ranch down in hill country Texas. They were doing their annual doe culling......I, of course, jumped at it. At the time I had no idea WHAT high fence hunting was........
I have to say, I have NEVER been to a nicer deer camp in my life.....They took me out to the blind in a covered Mule, I had my own guide, the blinds were carpeted with nice reclining chairs, and heated.....very, very decadent.
At six pm sharp, the feeder went off and about a hundred deer walked out. My guide said, "shoot that one, that one and that one".....and I did. It just wasn't right......almost like target shooting, except with deer. The guide told me that people call from Dallas and tell them that they want either a $10,000 deer or a $7,500 deer, they fly down and land on the ranch in their private plane, get taken to the blind, shoot the deer, go straight back to the plane without even getting close to the now dead deer and fly back to Dallas....all in about forty-five minutes!!!
I know they have to cull the Does out annually but I think I'm going to stay home next time. There's just something about the critters not being able to run away that gets to me.....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My high fence experience

all though some high fenced hunts are no doubt easier than hunting in other places, most high fenced are on 1000s of acers so it doesnt really increase your chances by that much, and the deer can run for a very long time.
But i agree that kind of hunt you were on is wrong.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

That pretty much sounds like all of the paid deer hunts that folks in my family have been on in Texas, and none of them were fenced operations. If it werent for timed feeders, there would be a LOT fewer big racks hanging on den walls.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM

Yea Bar, I don't mean to be critical of people that hunt that way.....It just wasn't for me......I think half of the enjoyment is going out knowing that there is a very very good chance you're not going to see anything, much less getto make a kill. On HF hunts, I think that percentage pretty much drops to nil........
They did do something cool, however. A couple of the hunters took some of the meat (I didn't) but most of the meat went to a local program there in the area. So I can see both sides of the story......If there's some idiot that would pay that much for a set of antlers here in Oklahoma, I don't think I would be raising cattle anymore..........
Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

all though some high fenced hunts are no doubt easier than hunting in other places, most high fenced are on 1000s of acers so it doesnt really increase your chances by that much, and the deer can run for a very long time.
But i agree that kind of hunt you were on is wrong.
So if it doesn't increase you chancesmuch, why not take the fence down and make it fair chase. That excuse doesn'tfly with me. It's not hunting, it's a cheap excuse to go out and shoot a farm animal. I know a lot ofguys that will let you come shoot a cow for$10,000, and it's better eating. It shames me to think that"the greatest spokesman for our sport" takes part in this cowardice practice.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another great "soul cleanser" is in the fact that we donated the meat to some worthy cause.B.S.[:'(]

What a joke! [:@]Like some how that justifies the unaccountable slaughter of a penned animal for your own fleeting moment of glory.

Why not go to the local Zoo and smoke a an old mature Polar bear. I'm sure your cost would be substantially lower than an actual licensed hunt an timesavings aloneit wouldmake it a no brainer.
And in your mind it could always be a fine trophy.Think of the stories you could tell.[:-]
Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would much rather shoot targets than a live deer in a high fence
Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

How can that even be enjoyable? I don't even have the mental capacity to see how it could be at all enjoyable or rewarding. I don't know what sickens me more...the act itself, or the fact that there's plenty of "clients" who see nothing wrong with it...actually they probably are PROUD of it.

I would love to simply say these people are killers, not hunters, and shouldn't be grouped with us, but unfortunately, the non-hunting public doesn't differentiate.[:@]
Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Well, it WAS a pretty good thread until the "I know everything", egotistical losers got involved......We really don't care WHAT your thoughts are on this. We're just amazed that you HAVE thoughts.......so bite me, banana boy.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Not you Mr. Hensler, the guy a couple of entries above you......

Quick Reply: My high fence experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.