Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with Nock

Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help with Nock

I just got some new arrows last night, shot them and two of the nocks fell off. I just got into bows last year and I dont know much, so how do you stop them from falling off? If you glue them how do you get them back off if they break or if I wanted to put a light up nock on?

The arrows I got are Easton AXIS

Then next? why do my old arrows shoot the same as my new ones they are different size arrows? I only bought the new ones because I thought they would be better, my groups are the same, it was good to start with but I wanted it better.

cmCreateCategoryPageviewTag("cat20063","Fletchings , Jigs, & Nocks")

cmCreateCategoryPageviewTag("cat20063","Fletchings , Jigs, & Nocks")

Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Help with Nock

Check the tail of the arrow (where the nock inserts into the shaft) to ensure there is no crack in the arrow. If that's not it, get new nocks. They shouldn't just "fall out" like that. Worse case scenario, wrap the base of the nock in some thread tape (such as teflon, just 1 wrap will be enough) and reinstall.

As far as your shooting goes......You can change arrow weights by a heck of a lot and not have any real difference in your impact point at 20 yards. As far as your groups are concerned, that may or may not have anything to do w/ the new arrows. Bow tuning, your form...lots of things to consider there. And the Easton Axis isn't the most consistent arrow money can buy, either. IMO, for the price they are getting for those, they should be better.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I will try that. What arrows should I get? (for the same price)

One more thing, I have my arrows cut, but my draw is long soI only cut about 1 inch, so should I cut them or not?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:50 AM

I can't tell you if you should/could cut them w/out seeing your set up. As long as you leave an inch of arrow in front of your rest, you're fine. You could get away with 1/2" depending on what broadhead you are using....

As far as what arrows to get.....There are an awful lot of options out there, but IMHO, one of the VERY best as far as consistency is concerned are the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. If you want a little heavier than that, go with the Terminator Lite Hunters. The TL's aren't quite as good, but they are less expensive. The Maxima will be about30 bucks more per dozen than your Axis....Great arrows just aren't cheap. But the Terminators are about the same price, and almost as good as the Maxima....Just my $.02

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Could it be so simple as his nocking point being too big in diameter? (if it was served)

Best advice I could give is to take a snadwich baggie and cut some little squares. Wrap your nock in the baggie plastic......insert into shaft.....trim excess plastic.

Like Mo said.......check you shaft ends, though.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Arrows are real tricky, Im looking at this ad in this magazine and Carbon express has an arrow that does not osillate, And also weight forward technology, now if i was in the market for new arrows, I would buy Maxima Hunters like said above.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Cut arrows stick out about 1-11/2 inchs and uncut about 1 more inch

I will try the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters next time I buy arrows

I just need to shoot more to get my groups better right know I only shoot out to 25y I only plan on hunting out to 25y so its ok but I would like to shoot out to 50y some day. My bigest problem is my arm moves around a little so it makes it hard to get tight groups, I was just hoping the new arrows would help.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:04 AM

What poundage are you shooting?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

50# I backed it off it was set at 58# last fall I thought that might help last year was my first year I ever shoot a bow. And droping the # helped with the pull back and holding it but not the grouping
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Jeff is right on w/ the baggies, not sure why I didn't think of that. But remember, just practicing (flinging arrows) won't help you much. Practice w/ a purpose will.