Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Speaking of acorns.... >

Speaking of acorns....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speaking of acorns....

Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Speaking of acorns....

This year will be the first year I will be really focusing on deep woods hunting near white oaks. I have scouted the area, and know they cross the creek about 75 yrds north and downhill about 80 ft. My stand is set just above the creek trails on a ridge covered with white oaks. They ridge is a smooth ascent, not a straight up hill, with trails and rubs from last year all around. Their bedding is 30-40 yrds west on the side of ridge.

What is the best time of day to hunt this area? Should I get in there early and hunt the morning or would it be a better afternoon hunt with the hopes of a good acorn mast this year.

I have several other spots on field edges, creek beds, and food plots, but I have pictures of the bigger boys staying a bit deeper and the sign from last year tells me that this is a good feeding spot with the hopes of a good acorn mast this year.

Im just a bit confused of getting in there well before sun-up or getting in there early afternoon for an afternoon feed. Our archery season is october 4th, so the rut is not really a factor in my hunt. I believe that with my past knowledge of our peak rut, it wont really get on until beginning of November?

What would you do?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Speaking of acorns....

If it's a Big Boy you're after, the hunt him! Not uncommon for the more mature deer to hang back a little deeper. The area sounds like a good one. The key for an afternoon hunt would be to sneak in undetected without disturbing the bedding area. If the wind is right and this can be done, go for it. The thing about morning hunts is that you really have to get in the stand early, especially when the bedding area is not far from a stand location, like yours in this case. I have walked in on some deer heading to the bedding area and jumped them before. If I had been a little bit earlier, they probably wouldn't have spooked like they did.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

First thing in the morning............ get in there early & get in QUIET !!!
Settle in & then DRILL 'EM while they're having breakfast...........

Rob
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

I just set a trail with reflective tacks. Worked out well. I wont have a problem getting in there a couple hours before light.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 AM

Reflective tacks..I think not, but another subject.

The biggest things are to play the wind and to leave and enter without the deer knowing you were there. If you set up where they are feeding you run the risk of bumping them when you enter the wood before daylight or early evening and the risk that the small bucks and does will be under your stand at and after dark allowing you no way to get out of the woods without being busted.

Also 30-40 yards from a bed down area, if this is the section they are using on that day is little too close of me if you are entering during the afternoon.

I would look for an area which will give me the wind advantage on most days and a stand location where I did not need to travel too far into their home area.

In addition if there are big bucks in the area I would hunt all day. Less chance to bump deer in the area and if you can hunt all day why leave your good stand location. The more time you spent there undetected the more likely you are to get you opportunity. Can you use the creek for an advantage to get in and out of your location?

Good Luck.....

Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found it best to hunt near the acorns in the evening. They are already feeding in and around the acorns while you'reon your way in for a morning hunt. Get set up for an evening hunt "before" they come out to feed on them. JMHO
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Born 2 Bow Hunt

Reflective tacks..I think not,
Only way for me to go this distance in the dark to get to stand. The stand is up the ridge where the wiser deer will use the thermal from the creek. If they are bedded down I can enter my stand without disturbing them. Im planning on hunting all day, another reason for the reflective tacks to get out without traveling through any of their trails or bedding.

My main concern was that I have never strictly hunted for mast. I have usually set up along trails and bleated or waited it out. I am not used to the deep woods acivity of feeding on mast. I understand the deer to be active up until an hour or two after sunup, and then bed, give them several hours and they are back up for the afternoon feed.

Either way I may spook something along the way, but it i my chance at a P&Y, since the yearlings, does, and occasional 4 points will run th edges of fields in the morning or afternoon. The guys Im after are about another half mile in, but my approach is from the opposite from bedding.