Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorns

Old 04-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default Acorns

will there be any acorns this year because of the late cold spell.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Acorns

Hm, good question. I hadn't given that any thought, but it sure did hurt the trees around here.....I sure hope it doesn't hurt them too badly....Deer kinda need them....
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. There will be plenty...it just might be a shorter season. Which in turn could help you narrow your hunting activities to bag that big boy.

Always think positive!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 AM

ive never seen them affected
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone at a local conservation place said that for some reason it wouldn't affect them this year, but next. Not sure if I believe that, though.

If it does affect the mast crop, it'll just drive them to therow crops I hunt aroundquicker I hope.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I find myself caring less and less about what it'll do for my hunting prospects....and thinking more and more about what the deer I hunt will have to eat, this Fall and Winter.

Last year bas a BUMPER crop for acorns, here. I heard people elsewhere (even in our state) say the contrary. I honestly don't know who to believe.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not too sure what it will mean, but i know here in NJ we had a massive acorn crop, atleast where i hunt. The huge crop actually hurt some of my hunting spots cause the deer didnt have to move at all to fund food.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure about the cold having that big of an effect of the acorn masts. Seems to be cyclical as far as bumper crops regionally. Ive been targetting hardwoods and acorns 25 years of my bow hunting career and find that even when the acorn crop is lowone particular year, I can still find a few trees that have lots of nuts. Thats where I'll hunt and it actually makes it a bit easier to target deer for me.If I can find, acrorns, hardwoods anda creek bottom all in one locationthen its game on especially in early season when its still hot. Shade,acorns and water all close together, what more could a deer want when its still hot.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM

I hope there is less of a crop than last year for two reasons. 1) The deer didnt have to move around too much to look for food because there was so many acorns. 2) I cant count the number of times i about fell on my butt walking down a hill because there were so many.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

LOL no kidding they hurt more when you land on them too.

Quick Reply: Acorns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.