Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No Acorns

Old 10-19-2004, 01:25 PM

Default No Acorns

Hav'nt been seeing any buck this year (took 3 does already,so i'M DOING MY PART!)-then it dawned on me ,I have not seen 1 acorn in my woodlot here in central Jersey-in past years,by now they would be dropping and I would have at least seen a few bucks-anybody have any thoughts on this? I do not have access to the adjacent properties-so I can't find a tree that is producing.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:34 PM

Default RE: No Acorns

I saw lots of acorns early in the year. The seem to start dropping back at the end of august here in Maine and New Hampshire. I too am acustom to the sound of falling mast but not this year. I 'm not seeing very many on the ground either. I guess what has fallen was eaten up quickly or gathered and stored away by the squirlles.

Keep doing what you're doing and in time you'll connect with your buck.

Congrats on the does though!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Central WI, just the opposite. Our woods are covered with Acorns this year. I don' t ever remember seeing so many acorns in the woods. I have to be careful not to fall walking through the woods the are so "littered" with acorns! Even in my yard, it is ridiculously funny! It looked like it snowed acorns here!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM

I LIVE IN MA. AND THERES BEEN NO ACORNS ANYWHERE EXCEPT LAST YEARS WHATS LEFT OF THEM , AT LEAST YOU GOT SOME DOES , THE ONLY THING I SEEN IS ONE MASSIVE BUCK THAT DIDNT PRESENT A GOOD SHOT IVE SEEN HIM LAST YEAR AND I KNOW NOONE GOT HIM BUT THIS YEAR HES BIGGER THEN EVER AND I HOPPFULLY GOING TO GET A SHOT AT HIM THIS YEAR ,HE LOOKS OVER 200 , HES MY DESTINY AND I HOPE I GET TO SEE THIS DEER AGAIN
Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 PM

Acorns in central WI? must have been a few isolated trees, because this year most of that nation is in the low cycle..oaks usually run on a 4 year cycle with acorns..last year there were tons of them...we're towards teh bottom this year. hunters everywhere have been talking about the lack of acorns. unless you've got a tree thats dumping them like mad, i'd find another food source to hunt. My dad is a timber buyer and he's been all around wisconsin, iowa, and illinois and this year he says is not good at all.

slayer
Old 10-19-2004, 08:37 PM

Just east of Pittsville, WI in the Wood Co. forest you can't hear anything but acorns dropping!!! I shot a buck Sun. the 17th that had no interest in anything but acorns. All the deer I've seen out there seem to be moving in ultra slow motion(20yds. every half hour). My father's property in northeast Adams Co. is the same way, lots of nuts on the ground... I guess it just depends on the area you're in. Speaking of acorns, is anyone having any oak wilt problems on their land? My dad has lost about 45% of his oaks in the last 7-9 yrs...it's giving way to some nice thickets and stuff which will hold more deer in the long run, but it's still nice to hunt the acorn ridge when they're dropping.