Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fellow Texans and other bowhunters >

Fellow Texans and other bowhunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fellow Texans and other bowhunters

Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fellow Texans and other bowhunters

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet but I read an article this past weekend in my local newspaper about a couple interesting changes in Texas' hunting regulations this year.

Number 1- The age of Hunter Education has been dropped from 13 to 9 years of age.

Thoughts: While I think this is a great idea to get the younger ones outside and hopefully picking up the rifle/shotgun/bow themselves (as opposed to watching their dad/mentor) I am a little skeptical on the situation. I amhopeful that the adult that takes them out will have enough responsibility and brains to continue to sit with them until they are a bit older. I just think 9 is to young to be sitting in a tree or bind by themselves. But lowering the age limit to receive your Hunters Ed will get the youngsters more acclimated to gun safety, hunting ethics, ect.

Number 2- The minimum draw weight for a bow to kill whitetail and turkey has been lowered from 40 pounds to no minimum draw weight.

Thoughts: It tookme a bit of thinking to come to a conclusion but here's what I got. I believe that it is a good thing. Lowering the min draw weight will get more people into the sport. When I say people I am referring to women and youth because some (not all) can not achieve the draw weight requirements. Those people might want to get out with their husbands or fathers and this will give them an added opportunity. I do worry aboutthe increased risk of wounding an animal but a well placed shot is always the most important thing.

Questions, comments, concerns or harassments? Thanks for reading guys
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fellow Texans and other bowhunters

I am all for the elimination of the draw weight. I bought my daughter a bow last year and at 30 pounds it was faster then the I bow I bought back in the 80's. I don't remember the draw weight on it but it was legal bow so at least 40 pounds. Technology has improved a tremendous amount. The draw weight limit had outlived its time. On the age it all depends on the child. My kids have grown up around hunting. They have the experience that they would be ok by age 12. I doubt I would cut them loose younger then that.

-john
Old 08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm new to bowhunting and the first thing I had concern about was the d/w deal...but you are right get folks involved and shot placement are the real issues here!Now it's a matter of overcoming the commerialized end of hunting,that what keeps so many people from trying it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, I'm for the changes.I am a bit leery of the no draw weight restriction. I just know someone will be out there with a 15 lb target longbow and take a shot at a deer.[>:]I would be happier with a 30lb minimum. I guess I'll just do my share to educate the masses.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am cool with the age dropping but I am with journeyman on the weight issue. I think they could have lowered it but not have taken all weightrestrictions off. My daughter shot her first deer last year with a rifle at the age of 7 and I had to use my tag which I don't mind but it would be nice if she had her own license to use tags off of considering she will be hunting with me from now on.Also I will be able to include her in the youth hunts sooner than before...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM

I don't know that the hunters ed thing ever really influenced things withmy boys too much. I mean we hunted large tracts of private land and they were going to hunt when they were ready anyways. It was just maybe plus or minus a year or two, and they weren't far off. Not like I dropped them off in a pasture and drove 5 miles away.

The draw weight restriction? Not sure I'm a very big fan of lifting that. Just like I don't think a .223 or 22-250 is a good "kids gun" for deer. Sure you can do it, but you are asking for trouble. I told my boys they could shoot deer when they could shoot a rifle that would take care of a big old buck even if their shot was less than perfect. A .257 or 7mm-08 doesn't kick that much harder and they are one heck of alot better on deer if you didn't placethe shotright. So maybe lifting the draw weight restriction would be okay on turkeys, but I just really don't agree with it on deer. Those bows may be just as fast, but they aren't pushing the same arrow weight with the same amount of penetration. Nothing in life is free, and you can't get 50 lbs of KE out of a 30 lb draw bow. It violates the laws of physics.

My youngest has a Browning Micro Midas, and it is a dandy bow. But laws or not, he won't get to poke a deer with it untill he can pull 40 lbs or better and can shoot good enough to do the job right. It has 30 lb limbs on it now, and in my mind it just isn't enough. I know lots of people disagree with me, and that is okay. I just want to be sure before they start slinging arrows.