Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is Scentlok worth it? >

Is Scentlok worth it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is Scentlok worth it?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Is Scentlok worth it?

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'm gonna be honest with you two deer hunters going into what it sounds like is your first season.

But just so you know I am unbiased in my hunting accessories as compared with most.. especially here on HNI.

I use the scent-lok products and know (and I said know) of there potential to make you a better hunter in the woods by simply helping to eliminate odor (and this goes true with all the scent absorbtion companies). I know.. cause I came from both sides (there was a time I didn't wear it) and I know.. cause I hunt with a degree of dedication that few have.

However.. if it is your first few years taking on the challenge of taking a deer with stick and string I would strongly reccomend you to stray away from the scent-lok camos. Not that they won't help.. but its imperative at this stage in your hunting career to not spend the money on the camo.. and understand the wind.. and how to hunt with it... and just to have fun and learn about deer.

The scent-lok stuff (and any scent absortion product) is really for a more advanced hunter.. not a beginner. You will just get frustrated using it and preparing it for the field properly..

Getting out there.. learning the basics of woodsmanship.. having fun.. and learning the wind are both of your best bets.

Get out there and just start hunting.. your number one concern should be practicing for the "big event". This will be your first lesson.
Just making sure you saw this^^^^

Excellent advise
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several folks here hit the nail on the head.Duke Michaels and RYBO especially from my point of view.You don't need it to kill deer,even big old cagey deer.Will it help I believe it will,but it isn't even near the first places you should be spending your money on hunting equipment.
Woodmanship,meaning understanding deer behavior and the factors that influence it is first and foremost.As RYBO said if you are spending money spend it on things that will keep you comfortable and dry.
Good luck to you! I hope you have a blast!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

i agree.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is Scentlock worth it?

NO NO NO
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is Scentlock worth it?

Either way I wouldn't buy cheap stuff. Good stuff keeps you out there warmly and quietly. Here's an example; I bought some heavy fleece undergarments and wore it as a first layer, it was like living in a bath tub. Next time I wore it over some heavy duty moisture wicking undergrmnets. Much better! But, even before any outerwear I had on over a hundred bucks worth not to mention the socks.

Get stuff that will keep you out there in any condition. Hard to come buy inexpensively. Good stuff also lasts. Lacross has a new boot out that looks killer, about $140.

FWIW Scent lok is quality stuff with or with out the scent killing capacity and as far as cost goes, they're all rediculous, but worth it.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is Scent Lok worth it?

In some peoples eyes...[:-]..in my eyes, not so much!jmo!