Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone cutting back? >

Anyone cutting back?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone cutting back?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone cutting back?

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

Deer were being killedLOOOOONG beforewe started in on scent "technology" and all thesenew expensivegadgets. Heck I got to put gas in my truck to get to the stand! I carry my climber.....60% of the time, my weapon.....either rifle or bow, a big bad knife, grunt call in early bow season,skoal or Levi Garrett, and my phone in case something goes badand to take a picture of my trophy when I kill him. I don't NEED anymore than that. I will never be suckered into buying stupid gadgetsbecause I know I can do it without special items.I don't buy face masks anymore, I use the upper end of a long camo shirt sleeve, works fantastic. I would never buy a "gear reel", gimme a rope. I aint buying a bow holder to put on my stand, I'm holding my bow the whole time. I aint buying a deer drag or deer handle. Last year I wrapped vines around a doe's neck, gave em 5 or 6 good twists together and drug her out. Yeah it would've been easier with a caddy or handle, but that proved that I don't NEED one. We don't need most of the crap we buy. More gadgets mean more to carry, more to lose, more to drop in the stand, and more to toss in the garage when you realize it aint worth crap.
Lmao, allot of truth to that SS!! I'm allot like you, I've never really ever brought hardly anything to the stand besides the essentials (bow & arrows, flashlight, finger tab, cell phone, a few calls once in a while, occasional rattling antlers). I can't forget the Kodiak either, 2nd most important to my bow and arrows!!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Yeah, I'm cutting back. Bow and the essentials only, along with fanny pack, ground blind. Will leave the rest in the truck if I need it. Took me a few years to realize it, but last year after 4 mile hike, that was it(it was HOT).
Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM

I did the same this past turkey season when packing my vest. The clutter that filled it filled up a queen size bed when it was layed out....I realized I didnt ever use the crap. I went to one striker, one pot call, one diaphram case with 3 diaphrams in it and a thermacell in my pocket.

Deer hunting I like having a backpack just for water and the occasional snack.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been bow hunting for over forty years. I remember killing deer when I was young with blue jeans and a tee shirt. The years have passed since I started hunting and I have bought a lot of junk that now sits in the garage. Spending a lot hunting gadgets is a sign of adolescence of having too much money.

Hunters need to pay more emphasis's on safety and equipment! I've seen guys hunting with two hundred dollar boots, carrying a bow with frayed bow string. shooting a super fast bow with underspined arrows and less than 10% FOC... that stuff drives me crazy!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I did the same this past turkey season when packing my vest. The clutter that filled it filled up a queen size bed when it was layed out....I realized I didnt ever use the crap. I went to one striker, one pot call, one diaphram case with 3 diaphrams in it and a thermacell in my pocket.

Deer hunting I like having a backpack just for water and the occasional snack.
Yeah I used to be that way in the turkey woods myself. I used to pack 2 or 3 locators, 6 or 7 diaphrams, a box call and 2 or 3 slates with 3 or 4 strikers. I felt like an idiot clonkin around through the woods. I practiced with one single mouth call and got really good with it, said to heck with all the other crap. Now it's 2 diaphrams, one slate, one striker, crow call, and slick stick.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly Rev, exactly.