Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The wind?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The wind?

I was curious as to your thoughts about going hunting in heavy winds. Is there such a thing as having to much wind to go hunting? I have found myself leaving my hunting spot because "I", thought there was to much wind, and that the deer won't move. Does the wind affect deer movement? If so how much wind does it take before the deer stop moving?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Default RE: The wind?

I love to hunt in the wind it seems that I have seen more mature deer on this days as I have on days when I thought it was a better day. One thing I like about hunting in the wind is that you have alot more freedom to move around in your stand without having to be worried about getting busted. I was on stand this past season and hunting ina field pocket. I had8 does at 15yards I was moving around picking up my bow and standing and sitting.They never paid me abit of attention. The same day I had a buck I field judged at 4 1/2 yr old at 50 yards and he never even knew I was there. Although he never came any closer as 50 is just to far for me. I like the wind to be at about 10 to 15 mph any thing more is a little to much.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Excellent question Mat. I've seen some really good deer movement also, during heavy wind.I also like thefact thatmovement and noise aremuch easier to get away with, but arrow flight is a concerne to me. Any thing over 15-20 mphand I'm holding out for a 10 yard or less shot.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer will move on windy days, but I don't like huntingin the wind. I hate not being able to hear the woods/deer moving, having my tree swaying if I'm going to have to shoot, and having branches coming down. I also think it makes deer more paranoid/jumpy. Also, with everything moving around, I think it's harder to spot deer movementin the woods.I'm just saying.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only think of getting out of the stand once or twice b/c of wind but wasn't b/c I was afraid I wouldn't see deer, it was b/c I was afraid the tree I was in was going to break!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

There is some danger in hunting during a real heavy wind (for obvious reasons) but deer do move, although I believe less. I agree with TN Deer Hunter that it seems mature bucks move some during windy conditions. I have seen this a couple of times. I hunt unless it is extremely windy beacause hunting time is valuable.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate hunting on windy days so 99% of the time I won't go. Arrow flight sucks in windy conditions and deer movement where I hunt anyways sucks when its windy. I never see hardly any deer movement when its windy.

If I do go hunting on a windy day it will be in a cornfield doing some blind stalking in the green grassy areas in the corn field in mid October when the corn is almost ready to be harvested. Find the green grassy areas in the middle of a cornfield, I guarantee deer will bed there and feed there on a off through out the day. I've seen it countless times but yet have I been lucky enough to get an arrow off yet. I've snuck up as close as 10 to 15 yards when its windy but in all the cases I couldn't get a shot off. It will happen yet, It just hasn't quite worked out.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best time ever to get into that corn field and " Stalk Hunt "! pun intended. No joke thow, those corn field will hold most of your deer. Play the wind and get in there.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Bartender

Yep windy day best to hunt the corn.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Took my biggest buck last year in 30mph wind I snuck right up on him and got the shot at 20yds.