Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Wind?

Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Default The Wind?

Can anyone be of service to me and explain how wind will make the hunt good or bad? Im new to all of this and I m willing to lean all the basics to be a successful deer hunter next year. THANKS
Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Default RE: The Wind?

If a deer smells you, the hunt is over..... When people say they hunt the wind, or watch the wind, or use the wind, they basically are saying only hunt your area when the wind will not be blowing your scent towards the area the deer will be approaching.... Of course it can get much more technical than that, but that is the nuts and bolts.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM

Ok I see. But if you have a stand set up all year in the same spot.. the direction of the wind can change right? And does that mean if the wind direction is different one day I shouldent try?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Set stands up all over the wind can change anytime....
Old 02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why you should have multiple stands, or a good climbing stand.This way as the wind changes its direction you'll follow suit and change yours.
One can never be absolutely certain of the direction the deer will come from--one can however be certain of the wind direction.
Unfortunately at one time or another and many times more that once, we will all get busted--that's all in the game!!!
But it sure helps to play the wind--and like Double Creek mentioned--there's alot more to it as well--just go out there and have some fun, time and experience will help along the way.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 PM

THanks for the advice.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:26 PM

keep in mind another thing keeping the wind in your faver is a good pratice but keeping your movement down on a tree stand is alot more important.i think hunters get busted more on movement then the deer smelling them.i know i have!!! but thats my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Keep in mind that typically deer are moving towards their bedding areas in the mornings and towards feeding areas in the afternoons.... So figure out which directions those are and then plan your hunts accordingly and only when you have the wind in your face or a cross wind....
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 PM

ya I guess pre season scouting makes a difference,,

Old 02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to be as far down wind as possible.

Quick Reply: The Wind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.