Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much wind is too much wind? Need help tonight... >

How much wind is too much wind? Need help tonight...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much wind is too much wind? Need help tonight...

Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Default How much wind is too much wind? Need help tonight...

I am thinking of hunting tonight, but its windy... 21mph from the wsw. Its supposed toi drop down to about 17mph by 7:00 tonight.
My question is do you guys think the deer will be moving before dark and the wind calms down to about 11mph.. There is also a chance of rain changing to snow by 10:00...Current temp is about 47 degrees supposed to drop to the low 30s tonight,..... Whats you opinion????
Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 PM

Default RE: How much wind is too much wind? Need help tonight...

HUNT!!!
Thats almost exactly what the weather was here last night. we had some gusts over 20 mph and snow. I saw 10 deer in the field i was on about an hour before dark. almost got a shot at a nice doe. That was more deer than ive seen any other single night this year. its supposed to be nasty again tonight and im going out. cant kill a deer inside anyways.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

deer probly wont move until wind gets closer to 15 mph, how bad u want 2 hunt is the question
Old 10-13-2006, 09:17 PM

A teaching buddy and I went hunting last night- 40 mph gusts and snow off and on in Northern Minnesota! The deer were moving in the deep woods, but did not want to come in the open, I wonder why? I have never seen wind bother deer. A piece of advice- if you find a spot out of the wind, the deer may like it there too.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

I found today the only thing that was hard to do with 30-40 mph winds was hold my bow steady...it didnt affect arrow flight at all--

I didnt see 1 deer though...I just practiced when I got home after hunting
Old 10-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I killed an 8 point on the windiest day of the season. I was also in the thickest, most wind protected part of the woods.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Typical Buck

I like hunting on windy days, just find a ravine where they can get out of the wind. I took my this buck when the wind was 20-30mph and the temp was about 35 degrees. Shot high over the back of a big 9pt and took this guy about 2hrs later. In my short time of 5 years hunting I see more bucks on windy days than any other day.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Sport 2
I killed one of my biggest bucks on a day the wind was blowing at 25 to 30 mph with gusts to 40. The trick is to hunt scrapes. Espically if they are deep in the woods. The bucks get nervous when the wind really howls. They can't stand to be still cause they can't hear or smell good so they do the one thing they have to do and thats work their scrapes.
Good luck
Old 10-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Remember too that when they measure the wind, they do so from high on top of a building that is out in the open. I've found that it is rarely as windy at ground level....especially surrounded by woods, as they say it will be. Also, the wind seems to die off a little bit right at sunset. As others have said, get deeper in the timber and you'll be fine.