Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting a rich man's sport? >

Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Many parts of the country have noticeddeclines in new hunters (so I've been told). I attribute this partly to my generation (the ipod, xbox, impatient) generation some, but thecost of bowhuntingisn't cheap.

Land leases, tree stands, clothes, bow, rangefinders, binos, deer tags, getting to the hunting location, taxi work, feedersetc..

I know some of this stuff can be done without, but this isn't a cheap sport. I believe cost is a big factor that keeps many would be hunters sitting on the sidelines. Of course, I could be way off base.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

I have been saying it for years... this used to be a blue collar sport and it has become more of a "gentleman's sport" recently. You know, one where we start to bicker over weapon choice, bow manufacturer, broadhead choice, etcPut something on TVand it is amazing how fast it becomes the "popular" thing to do.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I don't believe that you are that far off base on some things.

It CAN be a very expensive hobby/sport/passtime, but it doesn't have to be.

you can have just as good a time with a used bow and stand, camo, etc. But in the time of "waiting in line for the new iphone" a lot of folks in our generation HAVE to HAVE the latest and greatest RIGHT NOW, or F*** it.

its sad really.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM

It itsn't cheap, that's true. But if you didn't like hunting, you would spend your money on something else.

People pour their time, energy, attention,and moneyinto the things they love.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

How much is an ipod?

Xbox?

It CAN be expensive.....sure.

But I think I paid around $100 for the first bow I bought my son.....and it was a pretty good shooter (PSE Nova?).

We spent +/- $100 on arrows and setup......and he was basically ready to hunt (he had a cheap climber he'd gotten from an uncle....but I've seen them at flea markets, pretty cheap).

A license in NC is $40 (I think)....and as a youth he hunted free on mine (or he would have....he has a lifetime license).

Can't speak for other states.....but if a kid (or adult)wanted to bowhunt around my house....he could find some land.....private, at that. Public land is always an option...but it's a PITA to get to around here (even if one wanted to). But I think the price is right on those tracts.

I'd hate to add up everything I've spent on bowhunting......but it could be done a LOT cheaper than the routes I've chosen. Biggest obstacle I see to some getting into it is "other interests"....which have their own inherent costs associated.

Does it cost to "keep up with the Drury's" of the world? I'm sure it does.

its sad really.
Don't understand what's so sad about it. Who's to say what's right or wrong for a man to spend HIS money on? Never understood this line of thinking.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is big business, that's for sure. In Texas the land leases are absolutely rediculous if you want to hunt where the big deer are, and just higher than **** if you want substandard ground.
Bows are crazy, thats why I shot the same one's for 6-8 years, I upgraded this year...Ouch!!!! And I bought them used.
Hell, just look at all the talk of fuel affecting hunting this year on this forum. It all costs more than it should but we as hunters will do what it takes to stay in the game.
I would definately agree that the cost keeps a lot of people from hunting!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

its sad really.
Don't understand what's so sad about it. Who's to say what's right or wrong for a man to spend HIS money on? Never understood this line of thinking.
I agree. Why should you force yourself to own something that is "less than quality" if there is no need to? I understand if you have billsto pay, but if you've got the means, why not spend it?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I know is - I'm a PoMoFo - and I manage to get it done. You can still hunt deer on the cheap - you've just gotta play the hand you're dealt, and play it well.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can pay as much as you want, or be as economical as you want and still participate and have fun.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

its sad really.
What is was gettin at is that...

it is sad that ALOT of people feel that they have to have the latest,greatest, advertised best items or you cant' get into hunting or the animal will laugh at you, or whatever. that's what i meant by "its sad really".

Quick Reply: Bowhunting a rich man's sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.