Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting hike

Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Default Scouting hike

Hi all, been a long time sense last year. been busy with baseball and now that it is ending next week, time for some hunting prep. I have decided to hunt some public land near my house and am planning on taking a hike tonight. I was told, by a friend, that this area was great years ago. Now I don't know anything about this property. I have Google Earthed it and printed off the pic for my walk tonight. I don't know about the hunting pressure this will or has seen. I do know that the area has a "rustic" camping area around and has a few mountain bike trails too.

I was hoping to get some help with my approach to this area. I am planning on hanging a stand during season and maybe building a natural ground blind for firearm season.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting hike

Hey wright. Do you have a bike? If so, that could really help you out by getting back in deep where others don't hunt. When you are scouting, look to see if there is any old trash or anything that seems to show that other people hunt there alot or not.

Find the thick stuff, and possibly any remote thickets with food sources close by as that will hold deer. The land I hunt is public as well. I have had good luck by locating thick bedding areas that are a long way from where others hunt, and preferably those beds are on high ground, thereby making them even that more difficuly to get to for others.

All that being said, if there is not alot of pressure on the area you are hunting, then you can do a few more things. If you have the GoogleEarth map, maybe you can block out the coordinates and post the map on here so guys can help you out.

Do you have a climbing stand? It is very important to be mobile on public land, and to adapt to any changes that occur frequently. Best of luck.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 AM

I have attached the photo as requested. I am looking at entering on the right side of the photo, on Bauer Rd. I figure on scouting the area in the uper Northeast corner. This would be above the turn out road that enters the rustic camping sites. That is alsowhere the mountainbike trails are.

Thanks for the idea about the bike. I might just do that tonight when I go. I was thinking about walking it to see what is out there. It looks like some trees near the road for a while then I think it cleans up to brush.

We will see tonight.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wright, what about that little funnel by right side of the double lakes.....the two pieces of cover that come together in the fields surrounding the lakes? You might get lucky the first week of season as deer move and through that tight funnel. If you have a chance to glass that spot, do so from a distance and just watch the last couple of hours before sundown, downwind, and see if they come out into that area.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Virginia, thanks for the help. I didn't even notice that. I will try to get there tonight. I don't know if that turns into a swampy area but will find out.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I don't know if that turns into a swampy area but will find out. "

Even better, a swampy area is another deterent to most hunters. Best of luck and let us know what you see or find.