Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far is the hike to your stands? >

How far is the hike to your stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far is the hike to your stands?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:38 PM

Default How far is the hike to your stands?

Unfortunately I don't have the greatest of places to bowhunt and this year I am thinking of trying public land once again. After studing some aerial photos and thinking back on past scouting trips I have located a funnel between two large areas of woods deep off the beaten path that I think would be a dynamite spot for a stand. The bad thing is, it's a good mile hike back in, crossing over ridges, creeks, woods, etc.. I generally hike in to stands approximately 1/2 mile. This stand however, would not only be a longer hike, but will be more difficult to get to. So I'm just wondering what the rest of the hunting community is doing, especially on public lands. I know the experts always say this type of strategy usually pays off, but this seems a little extreme. So what do you other public land hunters do?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Default RE: How far is the hike to your stands?

When I hunt public, I like to be as far off the beaten path as possible. It's not uncommon for me to hike upwards of 2 miles to get back there. Having said that, I missed a doe 2 years ago 100 yards from the truck....[&:] True story.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

For god so loved the world that he gave me private land and four wheelers. lol...not far.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I am thinking of trying public land this year however I will need hip boots for my hike!! Not sure if I'm really excited about that or not??

Tall Pine
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

public land i HIKE...even still i see others, but closer to the roads would be worse...spots that i normally hunt at the one state game lands i hunt is about a 30minute straight walk....not a slow walk..a pretty good speed walk..it gets me to the backside of the thickets...most of the guys hunt the front side and push deer my way...bowseason will be a new ball game..its a popular grouse hunting spot because of the giant thickets and the guys will be in the thickets chasing the deer around. still think the backside will be best..less people and hopefully if i cant catch them doing what deer do i can catch them trying to sneak away from the others. thats one thing thats important hunting heavily hunted public land. learn other guys habits...find the funnels and saftey routes of deer. though the deer wont be running from heavy gun fire like im used to in rifle season i bet they are still sneaking away from the bird dogs and small game and fall turkey hunters. im still going to stay in the funnels in or near the thickets..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...my stand is about 200 yards from the front door of my house. Not really a bad deal. I can come here after a day of school or a day of work, change into camo, grab my bow and be on stand in about 10 minutes.

Not a bad deal at all...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

I only have about a 200 yard walk....and i'm pretty sure i wouldn't want to drag a deer out of the woods 2 miles[:'(]
Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Dominant Buck

About 50 yards when I hunt at home , probably half a mile at most of the other places .
Old 08-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well since I been hunting the same area for a couple of years now I learned some shortcuts along the way.
It really doesn't matter anyway for me I like walking and its good for ya.
To answer your question: from where I park my truck to my treestand is about 1 mile, I like to get in to spots that the devil wouldn't go.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 AM

On our own property, my fathest stand is 500 yards as the crow flies.
When I walk in to it I usually take theround-about way, say 1600 yards, along the edge of the property.

Going on my cousins property..........
Well they have 2000 acre on a long narrow piece, so up to 2 miles to the back corner

Quick Reply: How far is the hike to your stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.