Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tune up(yourself)

Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tune up(yourself)

That's it! I'm going to put on eye of the tiger and do some pushups!

Seriously though, I was a gym rat from 18-32. Haven't seriously picked up a weight in 2-2.5 years. I do miss it. Although if I did get back into it, I would go for lean/tone this time around over just trying to build brute strength. I think I was lucky to get thru what I did with no serious injury. (That I know of yet)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Germ buddy.....That's a GREAT reminder. In fact, I've been walking 2 miles a day @ lunch for about 2 months now.

I'll lay off the doughnuts just as soon as you drop the Cookie Crisp.
Don't lie Don, we all realize that unless you get a six hour lunch, there's no way you can make two miles.

And Germ doesn't get much of the cookie crisp in his mouth... cuz he forgets to bring the SPOON!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

ORIGINAL: mobow

Germ buddy.....That's a GREAT reminder. In fact, I've been walking 2 miles a day @ lunch for about 2 months now.

I'll lay off the doughnuts just as soon as you drop the Cookie Crisp.
Don't lie Don, we all realize that unless you get a six hour lunch, there's no way you can make two miles.

And Germ doesn't get much of the cookie crisp in his mouth... cuz he forgets to bring the SPOON!
And you USED to be able to walk 2 miles....Until that killer Premium Salad!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Resurrected.

How's everyone doing?

Down to 196#'s (from 214) and staying right there. Never felt better. Season is less than 2 mos. away.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Still turn heads, I just don't know if there checking me out, or my bald head[8D]

The Goal is to get 325 lbs bench pressed
I have been working my core like a SOB, really have been focusing on my balance.

Jeff great job for an old fart, way to be commited to a lifestlye change
Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Started HIIT about three weeks ago, and loving it. I do that two of my three cardio days. My weight fluctuates a lot, but I've never crested 170lbs. Right now I'm 5'11" 165lbs. I'm at a plateau I can't get over for the life of me on incline and flat bench (Germ, help me out here, why is this?). I'm doing 5x5s for incline and flat. My flat sets are:

135 (warm-up)
210 (usually only get it up 3 times).

My incline is as follows:

165 (and I can't get past that)

Oh, and I know, I'm a wimp[&o]
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Started HIIT about three weeks ago, and loving it. I do that two of my three cardio days. My weight fluctuates a lot, but I've never crested 170lbs. Right now I'm 5'11" 165lbs. I'm at a plateau I can't get over for the life of me on incline and flat bench (Germ, help me out here, why is this?). I'm doing 5x5s for incline and flat. My flat sets are:

135 (warm-up)

It sounds like you've plateaued. Try changing up your workout for a few weeks. Instead of doing presses try flies to work on your other stabilizer muscles and range of motion. Also, don't forget the other muscles involved in the presses (i.e. delts, traps, tris, etc.). If those aren't up to wear your pecs are you will never increase.

By changing up your routine you can sometimes shock your muscles into increasing when you go back to the presses.

I'm older and don't try to build muscle anymore as much as I try to keep lean. Playing ice hockey twice a week and hitting the company fitness center at lunch has helped out with that. I'd like to get my lungs in some better shape, but I just don't have time to run (I also hate running).
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

135 (warm-up)

I like it

Throw some decline in there also. One thing I do also is I alternate dumbells and bench.

Bench
Bench Incline
Bench Decline

Dumbell Bench
DumbellIncline Bench
Dumbell Decline Bench

I do 4 days lift two does off.

Day 1 Chest
Day 2 Back/core
Day3 shoulder/legs
Day 4 Arms/Core

Each day I alternate dumbells and machine. This helps not to get stuck in a rut. I also set time limts, I want to be done in 45 mins.
Off days I do cardio.

Another Tip if you want to pack on some muscle take protein at night before bed. Whey Protein is what I like to use.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

The Goal is to get 325 lbs bench pressed
Unchartered waters, for me. 315 was my best....20 yrs ago. 245 is my best since I've started back.

I'm not doing very much bench, though.....just low weights (175-185) and 3 sets of 8-10 reps. I'm running 15-20mi./ week, though....and staying under 1,900 calories 6 days a week......(eating like a fat kid on a twinkie on Sundays)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

It sounds like you've plateaued. Try changing up your workout for a few weeks. Instead of doing presses try flies to work on your other stabilizer muscles and range of motion. Also, don't forget the other muscles involved in the presses (i.e. delts, traps, tris, etc.). If those aren't up to wear your pecs are you will never increase.

By changing up your routine you can sometimes shock your muscles into increasing when you go back to the presses.

I'm older and don't try to build muscle anymore as much as I try to keep lean. Playing ice hockey twice a week and hitting the company fitness center at lunch has helped out with that. I'd like to get my lungs in some better shape, but I just don't have time to run (I also hate running).
Thanks, great tips there. I really need to invest in some dumbells (I have olympic plates, bars, and a multi-position bench, but only one set of dumbells...I like the idea of the bowflex selectech dumbells).

Germ,

When you get a chance could you pm me a list of what excercises you do for each day 1-4? Alternation between dumbells/barbells is a great idea, and like I told Bry, I need to get some dumbells as I only have one set. When I was lifting in college, I did more dumbell presses/flys, but I wasn't eating as much. I was taking whey protein, and I need to get back on that as well.

Quick Reply: Tune up(yourself)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.