Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tune up(yourself) >

Tune up(yourself)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tune up(yourself)

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tune up(yourself)

BB.com is a GREAT site. I'd be really hesitant to tell someone to gain weight.....by ONLY adding starchy/carby foods and NOT exercising, though. You WILL gain "weight".....but you'll also gain FAT. I'd rather be skinny and lean than at my ideal weight with too much body fat %-age (and I'm over on both!....lol). There's a LOT of people who would like to be in the shoes of those trying to gain weight.....and it's so much better if you do it "right". Instead of the aerobic workouts......try weight training to build muscle.....and eat the right things (PLENTY of sites out there to teach you about your macros). I will say that it's harder to gain weight the right way than it is to lose it the right way (for MOST). It's hard to eat when you're not hungry.

And you CAN lose it the WRONG way. Been there - done that.

Jeramy:

Can you bring clothes and run during lunch? I do that sometimes. Also....kudos for getting things started. Remember....a caloric deficit of 500 calories/day (either through less calories ingested or by burning 500 calories during exercise) WILL result in a loss of 1lb./wk. It must. But don't be surprised if you replace the fat you're losing with lean muscle for a while (doing things "right"). Don't be a slave to the scales.....but rather look at yourself in the mirror. I haven't lost more than a few pounds in several weeks.....but I'm leaner than I was before I started by a longshot. I couldn't actually care less what I weigh....as long as I'm replacing fat with lean muscle - pound for pound. In fact.....that's my goal.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BB.com is a GREAT site. I'd be really hesitant to tell someone to gain weight.....by ONLY adding starchy/carby foods and NOT exercising, though. You WILL gain "weight".....but you'll also gain FAT. I'd rather be skinny and lean than at my ideal weight with too much body fat %-age (and I'm over on both!....lol). There's a LOT of people who would like to be in the shoes of those trying to gain weight.....and it's so much better if you do it "right". Instead of the aerobic workouts......try weight training to build muscle.....and eat the right things (PLENTY of sites out there to teach you about your macros). I will say that it's harder to gain weight the right way than it is to lose it the right way (for MOST). It's hard to eat when you're not hungry.

And you CAN lose it the WRONG way. Been there - done that.

Irecommended notdoing aerobic exercise everyday ifa man wastrying to gain weight, but
I recommended not doing aerobicactivities everday, butdidn't say cut out weight training.Not stated, but assumed heknew that. A personwith high metabolism like that can lose weight in a flash if they see they're gaining more fat than desired, but at 6' and what, 135 lbs, he can stand to add some fat.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Sooner.....you're right. He could stand to add some fat (and many don't understand that SOME fat is a good thing). I stand, corrected.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been putting in long walks up and down big hills, riding my mountain bike, and will begin using my kayak in a couple of weeks to get my cardio in top notch. With the distances I plan on going in this year, I will need the muscle and increased cardio to drag those bucks out! I remember when I was younger playing college ball....I could drag a deer as far as I wanted and muscle most anything...these days, I still have the strength, but sometimes my cardio needs to be tuned up. Trying to get down from 215 to 205 by hunting season, back to my natural comfortable weight.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:56 PM

The older you get the harder it seems to lose those unwanted pounds !! I really need to lose afew i weighed the other day and was depressed !
Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm 43, OKIE....I know what you mean. I knew it was getting bad when my shadow weighed 40LBS.