Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... >

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

I haven't read it all yet,so maybe this has been discussed....Moon phase plays into it as well. During a full moon, I see LOTS of movement between 11 and noon.

I killed my first buck at2 in the afternoon, and the biggest buck I've ever seen on stand I saw at straight up noon....
Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That was mentioned mobow, and it kinda surprised me a little truthfully.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I read, quite frequently, that overall deer movement is horrible during full moon conditions. I'm always surprised when I read that, because I would much rather hunt a full moon than a new moon. I see.......probably 75% MORE deer during a full moon. And it's almost always later in the morning, in that 10-noon time frame, with around 11 being the most common. I don't know why that is, because almost everybody else I talk to says the exact opposite.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just always assumed, and i think i did read in Outdoor Life once, that deer moved more during the night when its a full moon and less during the day. But according to alot of hunters on here, they move alot during the day too like you said.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I read, quite frequently, that overall deer movement is horrible during full moon conditions. I'm always surprised when I read that, because I would much rather hunt a full moon than a new moon. I see.......probably 75% MORE deer during a full moon. And it's almost always later in the morning, in that 10-noon time frame, with around 11 being the most common. I don't know why that is, because almost everybody else I talk to says the exact opposite.
Most of the time Mobo I think the times you say are the most accurate during the full moon. I think too though it depends what kind of woods your hunting. My dad lives in the big thick woods of northern Mn and the deer are out in the fields feeding all day but don't move at all at night or in the evenings.

As for my area here in farm country the deer feed later into the morning and mid day as you also said and don't move as much in the evenings or at night. Where are people getting info that deer move all night during the full moon? I've never read that anywhere. I'm not much into reading books though either, maybe thats why I haven't read it or seen it printed.[8D]
Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

How many of you guys have seen/killed deer in the middle of the day.... say 11:00am-3:00pm??

I usually come out of the woods around 10nish, if I'm not having any luck... what are the chances that Im missing something?

What time of day did you see/kill said deer?
I've killed a lot of deer in the middle of the day. Most were being pushed by someone leaving the field around 10ish. Thanks!! Actually I do think (especially in hard hunted areas) that people move deer around when they head in for lunch.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had alot of luck killing deer in the middle of the day. I don't know why, but the deer are spooky and seem to only move in very short bursts( that I know of) about 90 minutes after and before sun-up. I have however seen a few monster bucks (for my parts) about 1-2pm, then I never saw them again....never got a shot at any. They were scent checking for does in the early pre-rut......

Brett
Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Another reason mature bucks avoid doe's and move later in the day. During the winter doe groups or herds attract predators, which are looking for the old and weak. Then they attract predators again during the spring and summer because they are dropping fawns and nursing. When fall comes around they attract a new predator, which is about 98% of all deer hunters. Some are meat hunters and their doing exactly what they should be. Some claim to be trophy hunters, because they hold out and let deer walk, but they still hunt doe groups, doe patterns and doe schedules. They were taught that this is how you deer hunt by generations of meat hunters. If your hunting where several slick trails come together, the area is scattered with rubs and a couple of big scrapes, don't climb down right after the doe's move through, you never know when the biggest buck of your life will show up to scent check between 10 and 2. Oh, those are also very aggressive all year long and bucks are gentle giant Jan to Oct.

I don't post much her and you may not respect my opinion but I will give my two cents anyways. There is a place I hunt in Illinois that is a funnel with about 3 -4 doe bedding areas along this funnel. During the first two weeks of November I will not get out of this stand until I absolutely have to. I have seen more bucks come through this funnel between the hours of 9:00 and 1:00 than any other time. Matter of fact I have never seen a buck come through this area after 3:00. I sat in this stand on Nov. 13th of 2002 and saw 15 different bucks that day. Yes, I remember the date because it was the most impressive day in the woods I've ever had. Six days later at 10:50 am I shot my biggest buck to date. 153 3/8" 10 pt. He followed a doe right through that funnel and she bedded down 22 yrds from my stand. While he was standing over the top of her I put one right through both of his lungs and he piled up 40 yrds later.

Back to Nov. 13th of 2002. Yes, I saw 15 bucks but only 3 were shooters. At one point there was 7 bucks chasing 1 doe at the same time. It was unreal. There was more grunts going on at that time than at your local hog farm. I will never forget that day. As far as I'm concerened hunting funnels during the "seak" phase of the rut during mid morning to mid day is the best hunting there is.

Here is the buck I killed at 10:50 a.m. Sorry about the poor quality but I had to use a scanner.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I don't post much her and you may not respect my opinion but I will give my two cents anyways. There is a place I hunt in Illinois that is a funnel with about 3 -4 doe bedding areas along this funnel. During the first two weeks of November I will not get out of this stand until I absolutely have to. I have seen more bucks come through this funnel between the hours of 9:00 and 1:00 than any other time. Matter of fact I have never seen a buck come through this area after 3:00. I sat in this stand on Nov. 13th of 2002 and saw 15 different bucks that day. Yes, I remember the date because it was the most impressive day in the woods I've ever had. Six days later at 10:50 am I shot my biggest buck to date. 153 3/8" 10 pt. He followed a doe right through that funnel and she bedded down 22 yrds from my stand. While he was standing over the top of her I put one right through both of his lungs and he piled up 40 yrds later.

Back to Nov. 13th of 2002. Yes, I saw 15 bucks but only 3 were shooters. At one point there was 7 bucks chasing 1 doe at the same time. It was unreal. There was more grunts going on at that time than at your local hog farm. I will never forget that day. As far as I'm concerened hunting funnels during the "seak" phase of the rut during mid morning to mid day is the best hunting there is.
Good post 2 Lunger and great buck!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 AM

Back when I used to gun hunt upstate I've killed at sun up, lunch time, and at last light.This wasdue, of course,to unnatural deermovement caused by largenumbers of hunters in the woods moving the deer around. You just never knew when one was going to get pushed past you.

When I started bow hunting eight years ago everything changed.I wasnow hunting deer that were mostly on their natural patterns. I huntsun up to sun down for the last twoand half weeks of the season down here. WhileI have seen bucks in theearlyA.M. [especially last year for some reason] and in the lateP.M., ALLof my kills havebeen between the hours of 1 P.M. and 3 P.M. Manyother sightings also during this time frame. If Ido leave the woods for some reason, I'll do it around 10 A.M. and be back on stand by noon. I love that early afternoon time frame.

Quick Reply: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.