Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question >

Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Default Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question

Hello all, this is my first post to this forum and need a little advice on bow life. About three years ago I bought a USED Martin Magnum bow on consignment from my local shop. The first 6 mos. I did some target practicing then converted it over to a carp fishing bow and that is how it has been used since then. I do not know the age but can tell you it has some of the first generation name brand namecamo on it. I want to really start getting back into the sport but cannot decide if I should buy a new bow or not. What is the life on a bow? Does the metal in the arms etc.. start to fatigue, and how often should it be re-stringed? I am trying to decide if I should keep this bow as a carp bow and get a new one or keep it as my hunting bow and get a cheaper carp bow. I have never tested the speed and therfore dont really know how it compares to the newer rigs that are out there.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question

First of all, welcome to the forums! And, welcome to the sport! We're glad to have you.

To answer your question.....Your current bow will indeed kill deer. If you decide to use it for that, I would definetly recommend having some new strings put on it. Take it to your local pro shop and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb, looking for cracks, limb twist....anything like that. Grease the limb pivots, just give it a tune up.

I will say though, that you would probably benefit from upgrading to a newer bow. They are easier to shoot, more forgiving, more efficient, and generally just more fun to shoot. You don't even need to spend an arm and a leg on a brand new one. You could probably find a 1 or 2 year old bow for a great price. Again, your local pro shop is your most valuable asset at this point. There are simply too many good bows out there for me to narrow it down for you, you really just need to look at them and shoot them, then make your decision. Good luck, and hey...don't be a stranger, let us know what you decide and we all love pictures....
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Rookie, newbie, greenhorn question

Consider it done, and thanks for the input.