Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

rookie question?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default rookie question?

i just bought a rem. genesis from cabelas. i have absolutely no experience with muzzleloaders. so i figured i would start a x-mas list for some accesories. what should i use pellets or powder? red-dot or open sights? sabots? any suggestions would be helpful. thanx. any opinions on the genesis?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rookie question?

I just bought one too, but I've shot mine a few times.

I guess Pyrodex, Triple 7 and good old black powder will work just fine. I'm using 100 gr Pyrodex RS with really good results. Allegedly, the gun likes BuckHorn 209 too, which is relatively expensive, though very clean burning, and cleans up with standard solvents like Hoppe's #9. I plan to try that powder eventually.

For bullets I shoot Hornady FPBs, which do not use sabots. They have performed very well on deer for me. I recommend you try them. They are pricey, but I'm still on my first 15-pack and have shot 3 deer too. Not too bad if you don't burn through a bunch at the range.

Get a cleaning and/or rangerod. The rod supplied is kind of pathetic, my only real complaint with the gun.

You may also need a short starter, depending upon your bullet's fit to the bore. If you need a starter, you may need the appropriate tip for your bullet design.

I use T7 209 primers for my Pyrodex, works fine.

Unless you cannot use magnification, I'd put a 2x7,a 1.5x4.5 or even a straight 4x scope on it.

A cap holder/decapping/capping tool may come in handy. Breech Plug Grease. Powder solvents and cleaning supplies like lots of patches. Basically, take a walk through the ML section of a good sporting goods store and evaluate each product for your use.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: shaggy1224

i just bought a rem. genesis from cabelas. i have absolutely no experience with muzzleloaders. so i figured i would start a x-mas list for some accesories. what should i use pellets or powder? red-dot or open sights? sabots? any suggestions would be helpful. thanx. any opinions on the genesis?

I bought a Genesis as well. I used a Traditions A1789 High mount and rings and a 1X32mm scope. This is a lot better then a red dot, and as for aiming, well at 70 yards it does real well if I do my part.

I would get a volume measure see though with funnel spout (Wal Mart has them) and some Triple Se7en 2f or Pyrodex RS and some .44 caliber .430 Hornady 300 grain XTPs and some green harvester crushed rib sabots. Also if you order the mounts from Traditions, they have a heck of a deal on a short starter for $1.99 there. Get a couple of them. Then get some loading cleaning jags, some patches, some Windex, and go have some fun with your new rifle. Also I shoot Winchester W209 primers and use a T/C dog bone capper to load the rifle with...
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If I aim dead center on the bull the shots will hit high at 50 yards. If I adjust and aim a little lower to the bottom of the 8 ring, I can place them pretty good at 50 yards.

I am almost positive that at 100 yards it would be dead on. Once I can move my shooting table again on the frozen group I can find out. But these Genesis can really shoot well.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

thanx for the info. it is greatly appreciated. is the triple se7en a powder or a pellet? what is the windex for?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: shaggy1224

thanx for the info. it is greatly appreciated. is the triple se7en a powder or a pellet? what is the windex for?
You can purchase Triple Se7en powderin loose or pellet form. I suggest getting the loose form. Its not as expensive, and you can custom your loads better. Pyrodex RS powderis an excellent powder also.

The Windex is for swabbing the bore of the rifle between shots. For the best accuracy when you sight in, dampen a patch and swab the fowling out of the bore. Then run a couple dry patches down the bore to make sure the bore is dry, and load as normal. I suggest when you swab, only work in three inch sections at a time. It will help from keeping the swab from getting stuck in the bore.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Triple 7 comes in pellets, thta much I know. I'm not sure it comes in loose, but it probably does.

Windex is good for swabbing between shots at the range, and also for cleaning. Many use a 50/50 mixture of isoprophyl alcohol and windex. The alcohol evaporates rapidly. One moistened patchfor swabbing, then one dry patch, then pop a primer, then repload and fire.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

thanx alot guys you've very helpful. i'll probally go with the 1x scope cayugad suggested and the triple 7. i can't wait until the gun arrives. still on back order at cabelas. i did receive the sling that i ordered for it. alot of good that does me. LOL. keep the info coming.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I picked up a Tradition's brand 1x32mm scope where I live for around $50.00 . It has good glass, gathers light well, and nice cross hairs. I might get a couple more of them for other rifles. As iron sights and me are just not getting along anymore. That beats a RED DOT all too.. I have a couple of them also.