Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rookie Question

Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rookie Question

Been practicing trying to gain some level of marksmanship and sight my bow in. No better than my skills are it took me awhile to feel confident that my bow was sighted in well.
I've been setting my pins using practice tips. Not having anything to shoot my broadheads in, I only just recently purchased a target that I could use broadheads on. Now I'm seeing that the broadheads shoot a few inches low as compared to the practice tips. Bothe the practice tip and the broadhead are a hundred gr. I'm using Striker Broadheads with replaceable blades.
What I'm hoping for is a way to keep from having this difference between the two heads. I was thinking maybe to go to a little heavier practice head or maybe try the retractable broadhead.
Is this a common thing? If so what do you folk do to deal with it?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rookie Question

Its possible that your bow is out of tune, bring it to a shop and have them look it over.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a fairly common problem fixed blade broadheads often fly low. The striker is a qaulity head and your bow most likely just needs to be adjusted to shoot them. If you wanted to stay with a fixed blade i would try Muzzy's, Slick Trick's or G5's own Montec all three of these shoot very well. The reason you would try all these heads is that they all fly a little different and one may shoot closer to your field points. If you wanted to stay with the striker i would suggest moving your nock point down an 1/16 of an inch at time and deal with your field points shooting a little high. If you want to go to mechanicals i would try G5's Tekan 2, Grim Reaper or HyperShock broadheads.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 PM

I shoot Muzzy 3 blade Broadheads, and I got lucky. The difference between my field tips and broadheads is less than an inch. I made no changes to my bow. But I have had it at the shop a time or two just to get checked up, its not a bad idea to have it checked out.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I would like to stay with the fixed broadheads. I guess I'll try different ones and see what happens. I hear a lot about the Muzzy's so I'll give them a try.
The tech at the bow shop says that he knew that it would shoot a couple inches low with the broad heads and that it is a normal thing. He claims he has the Ross CR334 himself and that it does the same thing.
He asked me to bring my arrows in with the broadheds, and said that he would check/adjust the balance of them?
Well, hunting season is almost over here anyway. I'm going to hold off trying to hunt with a bow for this yr and continue to practice and become familiar with shooting in general. The worst that can happen is that I will have to shoot field tips until next season and then re-sight for hunting with the broadheads.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like someone already hinted at, just lower your nock point a hair, or raise your rest a hair. That often tiems fixes the situation without spending all sorts of money on several types of heads.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the weird things about the heads I use is that they fly flatter and farther before dropping than my FP's. These things just want to go straight. To top it off they are bigger and heavier than my FP's (supposed to be the same but their not). I don't get it and I have tried to change it just to see, but there's just no point it changingwhat I like.

Pro seriesThunderhead 100's. They claim the put some groves in the ferule to cause this. I got to believe it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM

My broadheads shoot quite differently. The easiest thing to do is just resight your bow. It's not a big deal for me to do.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "fix" has already been mentioned. You just need to tweak your nocking point a little. Notably move it lower. Both an arrow with field point and broadhead will hit a little higher, but the one with blades should move a little more for you.

Star with downloading Easton's Tuning Guide from their website. This'll tell you how and what to do.

It's not necessary to spend more money on different broadheads at this point. In fact, at this time of year it isn't necessary to shoot broadheads at all. That can come later. Work more on just tuning your equipment and learning how to do so. Then work on your shooting form. Consistent form is what this game is all about.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

The "fix" has already been mentioned. You just need to tweak your nocking point a little. Notably move it lower. Both an arrow with field point and broadhead will hit a little higher, but the one with blades should move a little more for you.

Star with downloading Easton's Tuning Guide from their website. This'll tell you how and what to do.

It's not necessary to spend more money on different broadheads at this point. In fact, at this time of year it isn't necessary to shoot broadheads at all. That can come later. Work more on just tuning your equipment and learning how to do so. Then work on your shooting form. Consistent form is what this game is all about.
Where you been? Miss your input.

Quick Reply: Rookie Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.