Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns! >

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

when I was young we ate the family dog and we were thankful ohmy god cry me a river 1000dollar bows 100s of gas and tree stands hunting crap and you got to shoot a fawn to feed your family. I give I am wrong I am done with this foolishness
Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: blackfish

when I was young we ate the family dog and we were thankful ohmy god cry me a river 1000dollar bows 100s of gas and tree stands hunting crap and you got to shoot a fawn to feed your family. I give I am wrong I am done with this foolishness
What IS wrong with your brain cells, or lack there of?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I m catholic and we are against abortion so maybe thats where I get it if your god tells you to go out and shoot babys knock yourself out
Thats sad. I guarantee you, your priest would not see it like that. He might even ask you to go in the little box and get out your little neckless and start resighting things. But thats between you and him.

I get aggravated sometimes only seeing fawns and does. I sit there and talk to God and ask him, why I can't see more bucks. I pass and pass on doe after doe. Then sometimes it hits me like a rock. Ishould begrateful for what he puts before me. And every year, he has even put mature bucks before me.And I don't take that for granted fawn, doe or120" buck.

Howold are you black? Just curious.
45 when I talk to god I ask him for my freinds and familys health sorry kind of be embaressed ask my preist if it was alright to kill baby deer and if it was good in gods eyes.Heck I be embaressed to ask another hunter for that matter.Hey but they are easy to drag out don t get aggravated seeing fawns and does thats why bow hunting is so much fun and do yourself a favor save your prayer for your freindsand love one,s you will allways out smart your fawn.I got faith in ya go get em.
What in the world are you talking about??? Man, you ain't right in the head.

Hey, I am curious, how old are you? I have a good guess.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's where your wrong. I didn't have to shoot a fawn, I chose to. It's my right to do so. your abortion arguement doesn't hold water eithor. The fawn is already born and as i stated earlier, probably capable of reproduction when I shot it. If you are against abortion you better never shoot a doe after the rut. If you are Catholic then read your Bible again. God gave man dominion over all the animals. He didn't say " Adam, don't shoot any fawns" I suppose you are against veal as well?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spots make it easy to "pick a spot"
Old 05-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

I have personally never came accross a fawn with spots during my hunting seasons in Ill or wis. In wis, I hunt in earn-a-buck areas. When I'm trying to earn my buck tag I'll shoot the first doe or doe fawn that I see. I don't have a problem with that.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

See the thing is you don't have one solid explanation for why someone shouldn't shoot young deer(mind you we are not talking about spotted fawns here as they are illegal to take in most states). We are talking about young or yearling deer. What is wrong with taking them? Noone is saying that is some great accomplishment or posting pics and bragging on them but it is necessary/helpful in many places deer are hunted, especially areas with dense deer populations.

Let's not forget they are deer....not babies.....not kids.....they are deer plain and simple. Quit trying to humanize them and say "Oh don't kill the poor liitle baby deer."That sounds like something thatsomeone handing out flyers outside of a circus complaining about elephant treatment would say.

BEFORE:

[

AFTER:

Any questions?

Look at those little steaks on the right, don't they look so cute and cuddly? Almost brings a tear to my eye.

Disclaimer: The above pictureddeer were in fact photo'd during bow season from the porch, they were in no way shape or form harmed for the purpose of making "ham steaks". They were only used as a reference to show what size deer make the most tender steaks(and other great whitetail recipes). Although they could have been legally taken in the woods out back, my aunt liked these two(except when they ate her flowers) so they got a free pass, for now.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Magic...The problem is we are no longer a rural society, so many on here have never killed a chicken, hog, cow, or even a boxed rabbit to eat...I'd bet most on here would starve if they had to plant a garden and grow their own food, whereas some of us had fathers that taught us how to prepare food for the table, some didn't...

What size fish do you have to catch to eat it??? Next time you eat eggs for breakfast, think about what you are eating...At what point do you decide "it's not right"...
I grew up on a "hobby" farm. We loved our animals. They were our pets. They all had names. Then we ate them. It was just the way it was and we accepted it.
Same here. I grew up in the middle of no where Ohio in the middle of a 100 acre field. My nearest neighbor was about a half a mile away, maybe a bit more. We didn't farm the fields, but we did raise animals. Had a few horses, 10 or so cows at a time and at one time had a pig. The first year we raised cows we did it for veal and my mom named every calf. She darn near had a nervous breakdown when we had to butcher them. Raising veal isn't the nicest thing in the world to do, but it sure does taste good. ALMOST makes you not want to eat, but like I said, it's REALLY good .

I showed a buddy my "pet" pig and he asked what were going to do with it, I cocked my head and said "We are going to eat it!"

I actually didn't hunt when I was younger, at least not deer. My step dad did though. I went small game hunting now and then. I just never really had a desire to deer hunt is all. My step dad hunted deer, small game and was big into coon hunting. We had a coon dog that cost more than his truck did. You could make money at it then though, coon hunting paid for our Christmas gifts a lot of times.

Growing up the way I did I have had to look more than one family pet in the eyes and put a bullet in it, or snap its neck because it was injured or sick. Shooting a fawn for pest control and eating it probably isn't going to cause me to lose much sleep. Sure they are cute and all, but so were the bunnies we had behind your barn in a pen. The problem is they tasted sooo good fried up with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy[].

I have had dog before too, it was ok but nothing to write home about. We didn't eat our family pet though, I tried it when I was in the military.

Paul
Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry shooting a fawn legal or not is disgusting sorry nothing to argue about thats just how it is.Taking a deers life for 15 lbs of meet grow up
Taking a deer's life? That's a funny way to put it. You make it sound like murder. Here's a clue genius............it's an animal not a human. Animals were created for us humans to use.

Those baby deer are also being bred in there first year of life..................does that make you feel bad too? Are they too young to breed? Afterall they are just babies!!![&o] They should have time to be kids before they are bred or shot...............give me a break................[:@]

Oh and thanks for letting everyone know "how it is".
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 PM

First of all...a fawn is a deer born this spring. A yearling is a deer that was born last spring, ya know as in 1.5 year old. Yes, that little basket racked year and a half old buck is a yearling by definition.

I can't even believe some of the responses here. Call me gutless, heartless, and tell me to grow up if you want. I will be ok. I will shoot a doe fawn pretty much any time I get a chance in the early part of the season, and then again after Thanksgiving. And really...if I felt like shooting a knothead...I would go ahead and do that too regardless of what some of you all think I should or shouldn't do, or whatever kinda names you would want to call me. I don't shoot them anymore, but if someone wants to, fine by me.

So...here is the bottom line for the areas I hunt. You aren't gonna kill too many antlerless deer. In many areas, if I don't kill them, the landowner will find someone else that can. The majority of doe fawns in the midwest do get bred and successfully bear young. While I won't claim that for WCLab's area (the northern midwest areas), down here it is fact. That is why MO and IL have unlilmited antlerless tags. I don't waste time worrying about how many deer I am potentially taking when I shoot the dang thing...all I know is I have a tag for a deer, a deer is standing there, I go hunting because I want to kill a deer, and I know that removing antlerless deer is good for the overall health of the herd. No need to discuss that nonsense of "needing" meat. Hell no I don't need"meat...if I do, I will go spend a couple bucks at the grocery store on some meat. I love deer meat, but no way will I sit here and say I hunt for the meat, cause I would do it just as much if I couldn't stand the taste of venison.

I would say the one deer I would not shoot would be a spotted fawn simply cause they would still be a little too cute. Then again, I have yet to see a spotted fawn during the season, so that is really not a concern for me either.

Quick Reply: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.