Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns! >

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!

The way I look at, as long as it is legal, I wont tell you how to hunt, or what to shoot or not shoot, and you do the same for me.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

The way I look at, as long as it is legal, I wont tell you how to hunt, or what to shoot or not shoot, and you do the same for me.
DItto on that. Soemtimes hunters are there worst enemies.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TN Deer Hunter

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

DItto on that. Soemtimes hunters are there worst enemies.
Amen!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: blackfish

Sorry shooting a fawn legal or not is disgusting sorry nothing to argue about thats just how it is.Taking a deers life for 15 lbs of meet grow up

LMAO!! I kill doves every fall for the meat, and buddy, they have ounces of meat. Same with the rabbits, ducks, quail, and even the occasional goose. Heck turkeys dont even have that much meat. Apparently, only big game hunters are not "disgusting".

I will kill the first doe fawn I see this fall, because they sure are tasty. Gotta agree with Dubbya, spots just make it easier to aim.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Around here its a fawn while they have spots as soon as the spots are gone they are bambi's and mmmmm do they taste great a little butter some garlic and its the best 20lbs of meat in the freezer.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, thispost has gone somewhere it wasn't supposed to. It wasn't meant to condemn anyone for shooting a fawn. If a fawn no longer has spots, that's fine. I personally won't shoot a fawn early in the year. If I want some more meat later in the season, then I just may take a doe fawn.That's just my preference. The original post was, I don't know why anyone would shoot a doe and then shoot her one or two fawns,in the same hunt. Some people stated they would do this, and it's not even legal to do so in many states. If it's legal and it doesn't bother you, then go ahead.I wasn't telling anyone what they should kill and how they should do it. That's totally up to the hunter, as long as it's ethical and legal. Be safe, legal, and respectfulto the deer youhunt.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Guys, thispost has gone somewhere it wasn't supposed to. It wasn't meant to condemn anyone for shooting a fawn.
Really? Cause I just went back and checked...and yep, just like I remember...you called it "gutless". If that isn't condemning anyone, I guess I don't understand what would be.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

To change this up a little lets talk strategy. If a doe and her little one/ones (no spots) come through and I have the chance I bust the doe. Then if they disperse in different directions I wait 30 or 40 minutes and call the little ones back with some doe bleats and handle business from there. If they flee together I will trail the doe and doe bleat from where she went down and you know the rest. If the little onesare smart enough they use their nose, circle downwind, and don't come back.If theydon't do that it usually endsdifferently which sucks for them buthelps the rest of the deer.

Cold hearted, heartless, jerk?? Maybe, but I have plenty of good meat, I share with anyone who will use it, and the farmers love me which helpsus keep our land to hunt. We are not hurting the deer population we are helping it and even though it sounds a little harsh it is a necessary evil. Ilove hunting and respectthe prey I hunt but don't get it mixed up,we are there to kill them and sometimeswe need to kill a bunch of them. It may seem a little harsh but in the end it helps the land and the herd where I hunt and I am okay with that.

If you have never hunted an arealoaded with deerI can see how this may soundbarbaric but if you have hunted densely populated areas you know it is necessary sometimes.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

Guys, thispost has gone somewhere it wasn't supposed to. It wasn't meant to condemn anyone for shooting a fawn.
Really? Cause I just went back and checked...and yep, just like I remember...you called it "gutless". If that isn't condemning anyone, I guess I don't understand what would be.
If you would have read further, I apologized for calling some people gutless. Do you understand that?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM

LOL...yeah, I understand completely.