Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help Me Pick A Sight >

Help Me Pick A Sight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help Me Pick A Sight

Old 02-24-2003, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Help Me Pick A Sight

I would suggest the Copper John. I finally got to shot the sight on a friends bow and loved it. Loved it so much I ordered one that day.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:24 PM

One of the neatest fiber optic pin sights I' ve seen was on my Hoyt Cybertec which I bought second-hand, but loaded with some of the best " goodies" money can buy. It is made by Trophy Ridge. In the Cabela' s catalog it appears to be the Nitro Extreme model, but it is flat black and not camo. It is 5 pin and it does have the level and windage/elevation scale, but no harmonic dampeners. I took it off because I' ve shot a single pin with slide bar so long that multiple pins distract me. But if I did this would be it. The fiber optic pins encircle the housing for amazing light gathering ability. Once you set the gap for the individual pins, the entire bank can be adjusted for windage and elevation with sturdy wingnuts. The bow shop here sells this sight for $100+. I' ll make you a deal if you' re interested, just give me your E-mail address.
olddogrib
Old 02-24-2003, 06:33 PM

Thanks, but I' ve gotten several offers of Trophy Ridge sights and I just don' t like the vertical pins all stacked together. I really like the horizontal pins a lot better.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:45 PM

CargoF16,

I' m not sure if I have one of the " new" No-Peeps or not, but my lens is pretty recessed back in there. I tried dribbling water into it like you said and I can' t make enough water stay in there at full draw to mess up the picture it gives me. Even if it did, by the time hunting season rolls around, I don' t really expect to need the No Peep anyway. Even now, there' s rarely a time I pull to full draw and am not centered up in the No Peep if I look at it. I view the No Peep as a training aid to let me learn good enough form to not need a peep more than a substitute for one.

I' m pretty well set on the camo version of the Collector sight from Impact Archery now. I have read several reports of the Spot Hogg small-diameter fiber pins not being bright enough and actually saw what one target shooter had to rig up to make his brighter, so that sight is out. With as short as the fibers are in the Dead Nuts Hunter sight, I can' t see how it' s going to be any better. I also just got an email back from Impact Archery with a part number to order the camo Collector, and an answer to my question of what pattern the camo will be. It' s going to be Realtree X-tra Grey just like my Mathews bow. The style points clinch it! [8D][8D]
Old 02-27-2003, 01:54 PM

I just got the copperjohn deadnots hunter. I really like this sight. I just need to practice more in low light with this sight.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:46 PM

i got a legacy last may and i decided not to put one cheap thing on it. If u get a cadillac, u never get it basic, u get it with all the bells and whistles. I use SURE-LOC lethal weapon 1. This makes u shoot alot more accurate cause the pins are out farther from the bow meaning a smaller spot picked on the deer. aim small, miss small
Old 02-27-2003, 03:11 PM

In a way, that' s my philosophy with my Legacy. I got the bow originally and decided to put what I had on it until I took the time to be sure exactly what items I wanted to make the bow my " perfect bow" for hunting, instead of buying the most popular stuff out there that might not be right for me. So far, I have the sight and the rest left to go, with a cheap Cobra sight and a Whisker Biscuit (both Wal-Mart clearance) getting me by until I get the permanent ones. I' ve now decided on the sight (camo Collector) and the rest (MZE for roller guard bows), both of which should be in my hands sometime in March. Those would be my choices, even if cost were not a consideration (which it apparently isn' t for that darned MZE []). I' ve seen the other sights out there and there is something I don' t like for my purposes about every one. The camo version of the Collector will satisfy my primary requirements for a sight (i.e.- multiple small diameter fiber pins with a long enough piece of fiber to make each really bright), as well as being in the camo pattern I want, where others wouldn' t. I just got lucky that it will probably cost less than a lot of the other sights out there. I don' t want a sight sticking out in front of the bow. I doubt I' ll even use my stabilizer when hunting, as it' s not needed for any type of quieting on the Legacy and the balance isn' t bad on the bare bow either. If I have the full 5-arrow Softloc quiver (also in matching camo, of course[8D]) on there, I can vary its position to balance the bow anyway.

Also, I thought I had decided on the case until I saw pictures of it. When I heard that SKB was coming out with a new hard case to fit bows like the Legacy and Patriot, I decided to wait and buy that because I like my SKB rifle cases and I like the looks of the SKB bow cases I' ve seen. Unfortunately, it' s going to be the wierd (in my opinion, of course) slide out type and SKB sent me pictures of it since I was on their " early purchaser" list. Even at the offered price direct from them of $169, I think I' ll try to find something else. That thing is UGLY! [X(]