Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much shooting? >

Too much shooting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much shooting?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much shooting?

i got my new bow about 6weeks ago and since ive probably shot 1500-2000 times. after about the third week of shooting non-stop i noticed my bow arm, shoulder was starting to stay sore. i noticed at work that it was tender so i knew that was too much. my drawing arm and shoulder is fine but my bow shoulder was starting to get wore out. i gave it a little break for two days. shot a little less and now its fine and i can shoot plenty w/out it hurting anymore. other than that, when you start shooting badly adn get frustrated or down on yourself, sit it down and give it a break. youll just make it worse and get in a rut.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Too much shooting?

There actually is a point where you can shoot too much, you just can't put a number on it is all. You have to shoot within your comfort zone, if 50 arrows is it then that is it.

What you don't want to do is over shoot and get tired and frustrated. Many people make this mistake, they start shooting bad and get frustrated. However they keep shooting hoping they will get better, or they don't want to stop on a bad group or something. I used to be really guilty of this. The best thing to do is if you start shooting bad and are tired or are having problems just put the bow down for a while and walk away or stop for the day. You will often find that when you come back later you will shoot better. Shooting less arrows at a time helps as well. Instead of shooting 5 arrows at a time and going to get them, shoot three instead. And rest a little bit between shots. This helps you stay more relaxed and focused.

I used to shoot that much because I could just walk out my back door and shoot anytime I wanted, stop for a little while and then go back out if I wanted. And I worked my way up to it. Now that I live where I can't shoot I don't shoot nearly as much.

Paul