Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much shooting? >

Too much shooting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much shooting?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Too much shooting?

I shoot daily 50-75 arrows a session and sometime if I have time i will shoot 3-4 hours a day. I love shooting its more fun to me than just another way of hunting. I slack a little right after deer season is over and the bass fishing picks up but like know the bass fishing has died down some I shoot everyday again just about come july I will shoot everyday day until season than even during season we come out at lunch and shoot our bows on the road on the property for fun not long just a few shots while we eat lunch.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think that there is such thing as too much shooting. I know if i stand there and shoot arrow after arrow i lose my focus after awhile. Instead of keeping my form and focusing on burning the pin into the spot i want to hit, after awhile i am just mindlessly flinging arrows at the target. Also shooting that many arrows at once you might tire yourself out and your shooting will suffer. You might be better off shooting everyday but shooting ten, very deliberate, focused shots. I try to shoot as much as i can year round, but once deer season starts getting closer I might only shoot a couple arrows a day. That way i put a little pressure on myself to make a good shot, after all you are likely to only get one shot at that deer. But practice is a personal thing and do what works for you and what makes you comfortable.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no problem with shooting too much. However, there is a problem with not shooting enought. I average about 500 arrows a week and that will go up to near 1000 arrows a week once the weather calms down and I can get in the back yard instead of just shooting at the shop.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a couple of times a week during the off season......pick it up around 3 months off of hunting season to 4-5 days a week.....then maybe everyday a couple of weeks out. Seems to keep me interested in shooting and having fun.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot everyday sometimes only a few arrows sometimes many
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks my blood brothers, I have my answer! Gonna have to get more arrows because I will be trying my hand at 3-D tourneys soon. Also, my son is going to start shooting his bow later this month for the first time and I'll have him practicing through out the summer on in to fall. Right now he's pulling 30 but very easily. I just want him to get comfortable until this fall when I max it out past 40 if he can pull that much. I'm very serious about getting him a deer before I do, that would be awesome! Then he can say, Ha ha dad I got one before you did! lol Heck, might as well take him 3-D'ing with me so we both can lose arrows.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: DeerStalker80

I shoot daily 50-75 arrows a session and sometime if I have time i will shoot 3-4 hours a day. I love shooting its more fun to me than just another way of hunting. I slack a little right after deer season is over and the bass fishing picks up but like know the bass fishing has died down some I shoot everyday again just about come july I will shoot everyday day until season than even during season we come out at lunch and shoot our bows on the road on the property for fun not long just a few shots while we eat lunch.
Yep, fishing is a whole lotta fun too! Time to get a small boat and go camping. I know that we all think hunting 24 x 7 but sometimes it's nice to take a break, lol.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I think that it is important to vary distance, Angle and other factors of practice.
I can shoot a bag at 25 yards and and break arrows all day long, but it doesnt do anything for my overall ability, except lock my form.
I usually shoot 10 times on my first two pins then take a stroll around the target, stop at random distances and angles and shoot.
I also shoot from my roof, between the crotches of trees and through holes in set up cover.
I want to make sure that when the time comes, I know exactly what is going to happen
I usually shoot some "stay warm arrows" 10 a day maybe, at a standard length, just to keep fresh.
I do a serious practice a coupla times a week.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone seems to have different philosophies, I wouldn't worry about shooting too much though, haha.

Personally I tend to shoot 20-30arrows, at a time, I should shoot more often but I don't I think if you shot 2-3x a week 20-30 arrows per session, you'd be doing great.

Also focus on quality shots.....don't just shoot to shoot, make em count! shooting too often, or past the point of becoming tired, will only reinforce bad technique....something nobody wants to do!

So if you feel yourself getting tired, shaky, etc....stop also a day to rest isn't a bad thing either, let those muscles recover, you should be able to know your own body.....just be smart about your shooting.

Also you may want to hold the bow at full draw for 30sec.....working up to 45 or 60secs......different muscle groups/fibers etc...... build up that endurance, just my point, be smart about what you're doing, know what you're doing and why you're doing it, and I think you'll be pretty awesome with a bow in no time.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM

practice for perfection, & confidence.

Quick Reply: Too much shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.