Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes

Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snakes

We have all the bad ones down here. I wear snake boots anytime I'm out in the spring, summer, or fall. I have even seen cottonmouths into December. My biggest worry isn't stepping on them. It is sitting on them when I'm out turkey hunting in the spring.

This time of year, I see snakes, about half of them the bad ones, every time I go out.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

No one has ever died from a copperhead bite in recorded history.
Not true. A realtor and very prominant citizen in College Station, Texas died a little over a year ago from a copperhead bite. Was in the papers when I lived there. He killed the snake and it was a copperhead.

While in Tejas I wore the snake gaiters as well. The boots were way too hot for me and not very comfortable. There weren't very many rattle snakes around College Station, but a lot of copperheads and moccasins.

I was there three years and hog hunted every weekend with dogs. About half the time was at night. I only saw 1 moccasin in three years and no copperheads.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

One day when I was on a late spring turkey hunt in northen Michigan I got bit by a northen rattle snake , they look like a diamond back but they'er not poisonous.
Good thing I was wearing my rubber boots , the snake bit me in the mid cafe just above my ankle it didn't get into my skin.
Scared the crap right outta of me as I was stomping on it , ended up killing the thing.
That was a Massasauga rattlesnake, the only venomous snake in Michigan. They're small, not very venomous, and often don't inject venom when they bite.

They're also protected so next time you see one, don't kill it.

I know a guy who squatted down to take a dump, got bit by one. No venom, no reaction.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're also protected so next time you see one, don't kill it.
I never see the same snake twice, and they are all "good" snakes after I meet them = DEAD SNAKES.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I love talking to people in NC about snakes.....lol.

First off....we do have timber rattlers near where I live.....but I've never seen one. The copperhead wouldbe the most dangerous snake in my parts (realistically).

Second......ANY time ANYONE sees a snake near water, here......it's a Water Moccasin. Funny thing is....I don't believe there's a water moccasin this side of I95
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I
First off....we do have timber rattlers near where I live.....but I've never seen one. The copperhead wouldbe the most dangerous snake in my parts (realistically).

Second......ANY time ANYONE sees a snake near water, here......it's a Water Moccasin. Funny thing is....I don't believe there's a water moccasin this side of I95
Sounds like people I know. No one ever sees a black snake. They are all copperheads/rattlers/cottonmouths. Of course when I see one, it may as well be a cobra....lets just say I leave a slippery trail getting out of there.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM

ya i'll probably just get a pair of snake gators that come up to the knee
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM

this past season i was wonder out to my tree and stopped to look around and while standing there i heard a hiss. i was intsantly worried. I remaind still and keep listening. I heard it several times before i realiezed that it was right in front of me. When i looked down i nearly sh... It was the largest diameter snake with the biggest mouth i had ever seen. I broke and ran so fast i nearly lost all my gear. I did know i still had any type of quickness but i do. I later done the research just to find out it was not poisoness. It was a spreadenatter (eastern hogg nose). oh and i was wearing my rocky snake boots b/c i a ***** cat when it comes to snakes.