Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes

Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Default RE: Snakes

I have had several snakes as pets and know a lot about them. Here are a few fact about snakes that you may or maynot know: 1)Snakes can strike up to 1/3 their body length. 2)No one has ever died from a copperhead bite in recorded history. You may loose a finger or hand, but you won't die. 3)Kingsnakes are the only snakes that prey on other snakes including rattlesnakes and copperheads. Kingsnakes are also referred to as chicken snakes or some people call them black snakes. 4)Remember blunt tail, poisionous; sharp tail non-poisionous. 5)Leave them alone they are doing us much more good than harm.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

I am pretty scared of snakes. I hunt mostly in river bottom land in MS, where we have plenty of cottonmouths and in the last few years more and more copperheads. I think it was three years ago I was walking around a food plot, first I have ever planted, checking out the tracks to see what the deer were doing. I was scanning the ground looking to my side but continued walking forward. When I stopped walking, I looked directly in front of me to see a cottonmouth laying straight as an arrow with his mouth wide open waiting on my next step. It scared me so bad I screamed like a little girl and ran to the Honda. At that point, it became evident why they are called cottonmouths. I went online that evening and ordered some snake chaps from Cabelas. I wear them to and from my stands when hunting the slews, usually until November when I think the snakes have retreated.
Chris
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

One day when I was on a late spring turkey hunt in northen Michigan I got bit by a northen rattle snake , they look like a diamond back but they'er not poisonous.
Good thing I was wearing my rubber boots , the snake bit me in the mid cafe just above my ankle it didn't get into my skin.
Scared the crap right outta of me as I was stomping on it , ended up killing the thing.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have lots of rattlers, I wear snake boots, I dont like snakes, I hope the snake boots work!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

One day when I was on a late spring turkey hunt in northen Michigan I got bit by a northen rattle snake , they look like a diamond back but they're not poisonous.
Good thing I was wearing my rubber boots , the snake bit me in the mid cafe just above my ankle it didn't get into my skin.
Scared the crap right outta of me as I was stomping on it , ended up killing the thing.
Distribution and Status
Timber Rattlesnakes have a wide distribution ranging from New Hampshire south to Texas, encompassing a total of 30 states (US distribution map; Midwest distribution map). The Timber Rattlesnake is listed as state Endangered in Indiana and Ohio, and state Threatened in Illinois and Minnesota. The species is listed as Protected in Iowa and Missouri, and is a Protected Wild Animal in Wisconsin. The Timber Rattlesnake is absent from Michigan. Click HERE for state by state status descriptions.

OOPS and they are all poisonous so what bit you?????? Not a rattler.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

x2 on the snake gators. I got a pair at Bass Pro and they are a lot cheaper than buying a pair of snake boots. Plus, you can stil where whatever boots you like wearing. I think I paid $40. Here in Florida, there are quite a few snakes. There have been very few times I've hunted here where I haven't see a one, poisonous or non-poisonous.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Snake boots won't do much for my heart attack......

we have timber rattlers here, though never see them, knock on wood, I really think snakes hear you coming/get out of the way, sure maybe if you jump onto a rock/ledge etc....I keep a look out, walk slowly deliberately, even though I have a fear of snakes, I dont really feel the need for snake boots. Also i think i read somewhere trhat most snake bit victims are bit on the hand, and like 95% were white males ages 16-25 and intoxicated, was a funny article, but the statistics kinda proved that snakes dont go after guys/bite them, and I'm not getting bit in the hand. They can blend in so well, so I dont know about looking for them how good that works, oh well I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Anyone hear how rattlers are becoming quieter due to snake roundups....least in certain areas.....ie rattling/warning enabled them to get caught......so the quieter ones lived and bred....on discovery all the time....saying how theyre evolving way too fast....ie selective breeding ina sense, which is no good for us.....id rather one rattle than not....and step on him.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Grandviewer

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

One day when I was on a late spring turkey hunt in northen Michigan I got bit by a northen rattle snake , they look like a diamond back but they're not poisonous.
Distribution and Status
Timber Rattlesnakes have a wide distribution ranging from New Hampshire south to Texas, encompassing a total of 30 states (US distribution map; Midwest distribution map). The Timber Rattlesnake is listed as state Endangered in Indiana and Ohio, and state Threatened in Illinois and Minnesota. The species is listed as Protected in Iowa and Missouri, and is a Protected Wild Animal in Wisconsin. The Timber Rattlesnake is absent from Michigan. Click HERE for state by state status descriptions.

OOPS and they are all poisonous so what bit you?????? Not a rattler.
Whatever it was ... it looked like a diamond back to me
Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

There definately thick in Oklahoma, came close to stepping on one last September while checking a feeder shortly after dark. But at least you can hear rattlesnakes, it's them copperheads that people fear the most. Them dudes are aggressive, knew a lady working in her garden, got bit three times by one copperhead before she knew what happened.
+1 I live in Oklahoma and I have seen a few while scouting during the summer months. I am going to buy a good pair of snake books this time.
X3 They are a problem here in OK...especially since one of my hutning spots is at the base of a mountain. I stepped right over one scouting last summer, and my friend saw it before he stepped over (it never made a sound). I think I killed 5 last year scouting and early season. Saw a couple in the road goin to and from the hunting spot.

I always keep a close eye out
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Ya in Central Oregon it is very rocky and is a high desert so in the summer the snakes like to come out. Buut we are having a very very cold and snowy winter, hell it snowed today (where is the global warming?) so do you think alot of them will die off due to the cold, or will they just come out pissed?

Quick Reply: Snakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.