Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec and Poor Blood Trails?? >

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Count me in on the positive crew. In the past 2 years I have harvested 14 animals with the montecs. Everything fromturkey to elk. I had great blood trails on every kill. The animal that will test any broadhead as far as a blood trail is a bear. Each bear that I killed had a great blood trail. I will not use any other broadhead out there. I have used way more brands than I can even think of and harvested with most. Montec stands out the best as far as being old reliable!!!

No matter what broadhead you choose to use, it does all boil down to shot placement!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I am 16 for 16 with them, no issue here.
we aren't talking about losing them Germ.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

a cupple of them also had a slight whistle in flight, it was weird only like 2 of them.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 PM

I have never lost an animal with my Montecs. I would agree with several of the posts - I think the first year or so they weren't as sharp as they are now. I tried the ol' cutting a rubber band and it worked just fine.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Mine have a slight whistle also but not a big deal, the two I have shot so far with them had bad shot placement therefore lack of blood but were both recovered great head! IMO One was a 110 lb doe and a 140 inch buck
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

No idea about this rap. Took two deer with double lung shots with the Montecs this year. Blew blood everywhere. Both dropped within 50 yards. Did nothing more than run them acrosstheG5 stone that I purchased with them. Seem pretty sharp to me. Been said a hundred times, it's all about shot placement. There was a fella posted here he put a target tip through a deer once. Not advocating that, but I believe him. All this "razor sharpness" is another arguement I can't understand when we're flinging arrows 300fps.I like the doctors scapel comparrisons. Like a broadhead traveling at300fps needs to be as sharp as sombody cutting out a tumor in your brain. Makes for good posts and conversation I guess.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the head is sharp the main thing that dictates the type of Blood Trail is Location of the Hit. I have had some unbelieveable Blood trails from 1" broadheads.

Put a razor sharp broadhead where they live and they'll go down in short order.

Dan
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: valor10

All this "razor sharpness" is another arguement I can't understand when we're flinging arrows 300fps.I like the doctors scapel comparrisons. Like a broadhead traveling at300fps needs to be as sharp as sombody cutting out a tumor in your brain. Makes for good posts and conversation I guess.
A dull blade pushes blood vessels out of the way rather than cutting them. Arteries and especially veins are very stretchy and resilient to cutting. Your 300 fps arrow isn't doing 300 fps anymore after impact and may hardly be traveling at all before it contacts tissues on the far side of the chest cavity. I don't think anyone will argue that a sharp head cuts better than a dull one and since the sharpness of our broadheads is something we can easily control, it's just prudent to do so.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

A dull blade pushes blood vessels out of the way rather than cutting them. Arteries and especially veins are very stretchy and resilient to cutting. Your 300 fps arrow isn't doing 300 fps anymore after impact and may hardly be traveling at all before it contacts tissues on the far side of the chest cavity. I don't think anyone will argue that a sharp head cuts better than a dull one and since the sharpness of our broadheads is something we can easily control, it's just prudent to do so.
You're absolutely right. I'm just just ranting. Seems to me this "sharpness" issue with the Montecs is something folks throw out there to make excuses for "suspect" shots and lost deer. I certainly sharpened mine to the point they'll shave, and had no trouble doing it.Guys take 45 yard shots at quarteringdeer and then cry their broadheadain't doing it's job.This ain't golf. No fancy driver weighted to compensate for slices and hooks.Make good shots, make smart shots, and the blood trail will take care of itself.