Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec and Poor Blood Trails?? >

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: ACLakey

What are the reasons you have seen poor blood trails with the Montec?
Same reason as for any head; not keeping them sharp. Montecs are known for coming from the factory less than optimally sharp. I do quite a bit of work on mine when I get them out of the box but when they're done they make a scalpel look dull.
By chance could you post what you do? I would love to know
Why? The point is it takes a lot of work to get a 60 degree edge down to 20.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both my brother and I have had similar results using this head. I stopped after 2 waisted deer and finished the year not loosing another after switching back to thunderheads. Both my brother and I hunt aggresivlly and this head can't be used that way, it's more of a target practise head. As long as deer comes up and stand broadside at 20 yards, this is a good head.

I'd be among the list of people who didn't like them. I shot one twice and it still ran off farther than I could find it. With the thunder head even with poor shots deer don't go far. Those that like them blame poor performance on bad shots to which I say, Ya, what's your point?I can kill a deer with a 22, but why should I. A G5 isn't a 22 but it's no 7mm. either.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well 16 deer shot and only do I did not see go down, the other two were poor shots, no issues with the trail.

I have shot them Qrt too[:-], away and broadside.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Basically I knock all the machining marks off of them with something on the order of a 600 grit diamond stone, then remove the 600 grit marks with a finer stone down to 1200 diamond grit then keep doing the same all the way down to a smooth, hard white ceramic stone at 2000 grit (and if you're really into it you could go down to an 8000 grit waterstone.) You put less and less pressure on the finshing stone with each stroke and only make one stroke per facet when finishing until you've got the facets polished to a mirror finish. Then I strop with paper (3x5 index card works good). When finished they'll cut hairs in half along my arm without having to touch skin. The stones for doing this are prohibitively expensive so I wouldn't suggest anyone plan on buying Montecs and the stones to do this. I already happened to have the stones (for honing triggers) so it wasn't a big investment to get them sharp, other than time (and it takes upward of 1/2 hour per head sometimes). Most would be better off just buying a head that's already sharp like the Hellrazor and be done with it, or going with replaceable blades.

Here's a good source for hones and sharpening materials.
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?...p;leftnav=true
Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM

I havent had any problems with the Montec yet. If it is gonna mess with your head and eventually your shooting maybe you should try the striker then I use the Montec but have also heard great things about the striker from sites and such.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Basically I knock all the machining marks off of them with something on the order of a 600 grit diamond stone, then remove the 600 grit marks with a finer stone down to 1200 diamond grit then keep doing the same all the way down to a smooth, hard white ceramic stone at 2000 grit (and if you're really into it you could go down to an 8000 grit waterstone.) You put less and less pressure on the finshing stone with each stroke and only make one stroke per facet when finishing until you've got the facets polished to a mirror finish. Then I strop with paper (3x5 index card works good). When finished they'll cut hairs in half along my arm without having to touch skin. The stones for doing this are prohibitively expensive so I wouldn't suggest anyone plan on buying Montecs and the stones to do this. I already happened to have the stones (for honing triggers) so it wasn't a big investment to get them sharp, other than time (and it takes upward of 1/2 hour per head sometimes). Most would be better off just buying a head that's already sharp like the Hellrazor and be done with it, or going with replaceable blades.

Here's a good source for hones and sharpening materials.
http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=1021&leftnav=true
I also take my sweet time and resharpen the Montecs to the point I can shave with them. Sure it takes time initially but I have found the once shot through a deer I can resharpen them again with less time than originally needed.

They're great flying, sturdy broad heads. I will use them againthis year along with two blade Rages.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I have used wet/dry sand paper starting at 400gr, then 1000gr then 2000gr paper. Puts a miror finish on them for sure, but I found the 600gr finish cuts better...maybe it is just me, but I can't get the 2000gr finish to cut any test material well.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine was using montecs and he shot a nice buck and he had a poor bloodtrail. He said he shot it good, but he never found the deer. He switched to a rage 3 blade and hasen't had a problem since.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have never had a problem with mine.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

the g5 montecs were a broadhead i was considering, and read tons of revies on them, many great, though suprisingly more negatives than most broaheads I read about. So that quickly ended my consideration of them, I use muzzy 3 blade 100gr, the only other broadhead I'm considering is a 2 blade rage.

Quick Reply: Montec and Poor Blood Trails??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.