Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No blood trails? >

No blood trails?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No blood trails?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default No blood trails?

Just wondering how many bow hunters out here have made quick Fatal hits and had little or no blood trail?

Was out in West Texas Last week hunting Mulies, buddy made a quartering to shot on a doe,the arrowtook out at least one lung, went through the stomach, probaly at some point hit the liver, and exited through her hind leg. Not a recommended shot, but it was fatal. We found her 80 yards away, by luck, but we had Absolutly no blood trail...None

In La Grange Tx, This wekend, I made a quartering away shot on Nice little spike at 17 yards. Took out both lungs and the arrow stopped just as it broke through the bucks shoulder area on the other side. Found him 70 yards out...16 hours later. Found specs of blood for about 20 yards where it completly stopped. He bled mostly internally.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: No blood trails?

I couldnt find blood trails this past week on either one of the does I shot. I had lung hits on both and heard each one go down but I could not find a trail close to where I shot. Once I found the deer I backtracked the blood trail to see where it started. It took 23-30 yrds before they started, maybe longer on one shot.

Congrats on the spike and was it spoiled by the time you reached it?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

If the temps had been cooler, I would have took a chance and harvested the meat. I shot him at 7 pm saturday, didnt find him till noon the next day...in the 80,s temps.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 AM

It took 23-30 yrds before they started, maybe longer on one shot.
I had that happen two years ago, actually started to think I had missed. But when it started there was blood everywhere.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had more than a few deer not leave blood trails. Fortunately they didn't go far from the shots. Guts can plug the holes real fast and leave no blood. I also shot a buck once, hard down thru the chest, from where he was standing to where the 1st blood was, was a solid 35 yds, but from then on it gushed out, and he wasn't more than 15-20 yds after that. Sometimes blood trails do weird things. THat's why you need to use asa many other factors as you can. Watching the deer, tracks, leaves kicked up, broken twigs, etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a doe jump the string and spin around, hit it perfectly in the anus, I thought I missed but followed the trail it took as I couldn't find my arrow. 40 yds later a drop of blood, 5' further there she lay with only the fletching sticking out.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:16 PM

a front or rear shot doesn't leave much blood trail.the chest cavity has to fill up with blood befor it starts to come out the holes,with the hole high like that they will travle a long ways befor it fill and spills.a quatering shot will also plug with the gut,stops the trail. the only really good blood trai is stright down with the exit between the front legs or broadside. those usuall leave a great trail.
the bigger hole you leave in the chest cavity the better off you are.

not saying a quartering , front or rear shot is bad,they are ok, just not for a good blood trail.

JMHO
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

I hammered a doe about a week ago and I mean hard. double lung at 21 yds. she was perfectly broadside. thought this is gonna be easy tracking. WRONG. I found a drop of blood literally every ten yds. she went about 100. toughest fatally shot deer tracking job I have ever done. took me 45 mins to find her. thought I knew where she was going, but can never get myself to leave the blood trail.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a doe Saturday. She ran 30 yards and crashed. No blood at all till her final resting spot. Oh yeah double lung shot pass thru
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had it happen many times, some times a piece of fat can plug the whole. Why I real focus on were I seen the deer last. I try to start tracking in the area I last seen the deer.

Quick Reply: No blood trails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.