Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for "mature buck" advocates >

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for "mature buck" advocates

Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Question for "mature buck" advocates

ORIGINAL: GregH

Maybe a roommate, family member etc?

Let's ask her. Badger Girl93, who is pig dog 02?
Oops, too late.............

Thanks Badger Girl.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I'm not trying to justify James' comment, because it was out of line IMO, but I do see what he is talking about all over PA as well.

We travel from camp to camp talking to the other guys that hunt around us and ask what they've been seeing and they'll say things like, "We've seen a few little ones, but nothing for the wall." "There are no big bucks in this area." "All we see are mountain deer." Blah, blah, blah.

Then when we go back to their camp in the evening of opening day we'd see a spiker or a forkie and even with ARs a little 1.5 year old basket six. That's fine, but don't say there are no big bucks around if you're not willing to let them get big. I've eaten my share of tags, and I'll continue to do so. That's my choice, but I also reserve the right to be a little pissed if someone is complaining about not seeing any big deer, but continues to shoot little ones.

I won't even get started on the guys that have 2 or 3 licenses. If I could prove it happened they'd get turned in.
I see this too, If you've been hunting for any amount of time you will inevitably come across those hunters who complain about not seeing or killing a P&Y deer and yettheir truck beds are filled with young deer. To THEM I'd respectfully say "try passing on a few of those younger bucks and you mightstart to see more older ones". Or try to help them with tactics and avenues to find where the bigger bucks are.I'll never be "pissed off" at them, why should I? It doesn't effect the way I hunt, I will continue to hunt the way I want regardless of what the other hunters do. Why in the WORLD should I be pissed off?

That being said.........This wasn't the case, here James just posted a very rude comment about a picture that was posted with pride.....uncalled for.[:'(]
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Too many damn Wisconsinites in this discussion.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

It is refreshing, eh!!??
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I won't even get started on the guys that have 2 or 3 licenses. If I could prove it happened they'd get turned in.
I know wives in MI who have shot more deer than half the members here
Mine has! You wont see her at the mall during deer season unless she is taged out. When the son in law calls to talk deer hunting he talks to her not me
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Mine has! When the son in law calls to talk deer hunting he talks to her not me
can you blame him
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you like hunting mature bucks because it's more of a challenge; then you should thank the folks shooting dink bucks because they're helping you out.

I'd like to see IL go to unlimited buck tags with a $100 bounty on any buck. After a couple years we should to the point that a resident might be able to find a place to hunt with out a crowd or paying through the nose for a lease.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Mine has! When the son in law calls to talk deer hunting he talks to her not me
can you blame him
Not at all, she is the deer ham queen of oscoda county!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I'm not trying to justify James' comment, because it was out of line IMO, but I do see what he is talking about all over PA as well.

We travel from camp to camp talking to the other guys that hunt around us and ask what they've been seeing and they'll say things like, "We've seen a few little ones, but nothing for the wall." "There are no big bucks in this area." "All we see are mountain deer." Blah, blah, blah.

Then when we go back to their camp in the evening of opening day we'd see a spiker or a forkie and even with ARs a little 1.5 year old basket six. That's fine, but don't say there are no big bucks around if you're not willing to let them get big. I've eaten my share of tags, and I'll continue to do so. That's my choice, but I also reserve the right to be a little pissed if someone is complaining about not seeing any big deer, but continues to shoot little ones.

I see this too, If you've been hunting for any amount of time you will inevitably come across those hunters who complain about not seeing or killing a P&Y deer and yettheir truck beds are filled with young deer. To THEM I'd respectfully say "try passing on a few of those younger bucks and you mightstart to see more older ones". Or try to help them with tactics and avenues to find where the bigger bucks are.I'll never be "pissed off" at them, why should I? It doesn't effect the way I hunt, I will continue to hunt the way I want regardless of what the other hunters do. Why in the WORLD should I be pissed off?

That being said.........This wasn't the case, here James just posted a very rude comment about a picture that was posted with pride.....uncalled for.[:'(]
John, no argument about what was said about the pic. No cause to belittle others to make yourself look better.

As far as getting pissed, it's because I've tried what you said and made the subtle suggestions to pass on the little ones and offered some tips such as "get in the thick and nasty stuff, that's where the big ones are" and my attempt to help is met with resistance, excuses, and at times criticism of how I choose to hunt, and I wasn't complaining. So, I'm not pissed at them for how they choose to hunt, but more that they complain about a "problem" yet want to have nothing to do with the solution.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James Vee

I know that there are a lot of hunters out there that feel the same way I do, but I'm not afraid to say it. I might offend a few in the process, but that's fine by me.
it's sad to hear you say that, Jimbo[&o]

Tony, I see you're from New York. Here's a paragraph from the New York Game and Fish Website:

The information is a year old, and is records from the 2005 season. Since it appears that you would rather complain about how your state doesn't have any big, mature bucks I've started your legwork for you. Check out Steuben County if you are looking to shoot a mature buck. There was a 200" plus buck shot there in 2005.
why are you putting words in my mouth, James???I NEVER said such a thing! I know there are monsters in NY ,,,, I have SEEN them! I would have taken a few if it was gun season when I had seen them .... don't lie to justify yourself!

For more information on possibly what areas to focus on when targeting mature bucks in the state of New York I would suggest purchasing a copy of the latest New York State Big Buck Club Entries. http://www.nys-big-buck.org/index.htm

Lace up your boots and start shed hunting. Start scouting for next season now, and you'll have a nice jump start on the rest of the competition. You never know what might be just around the next corner.
You just don't get it ..... I don't have the time and I really don't give a rip if I shoot a Booner ... It needs to be a state wide change for NY to see bigger bucks ... if they change it ...great! if not ....I DON'T CARE!!!!!!! There is so much more to life than deer hunting FOR ME ....if that's all life is to you, great!!!! I got your back! But we are ALL different ...learn that lesson, and you will be much better off, James.

BTW ... I don't disagree with you about guys that whine about no big deer, yet they shoot little ones all the time ... they outta shutup too!!

Bottom line .... your statement about "the wall of shame" was uncalled for and disgusting .......... and you need to apologize for it ......

Quick Reply: Question for "mature buck" advocates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.