Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My thoughts on leasing >

My thoughts on leasing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My thoughts on leasing

Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

ill pass, my head will explode
ORIGINAL: Germ

unbelieveable, i leave for work around page ten, i get there and now its on 19 [X(]unbelievable, the saga continues
Do you want the crib notes
Ok, now you'll never know
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

well maby some of them

ill pass, my head will explode

unbelieveable, i leave for work around page ten, i get there and now its on 19 [X(]unbelievable, the saga continues
Do you want the crib notes
Ok, now you'll never know
Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

well maby some of them
BigJ71
Kickin Buck
Both know what they are talking about

Hardcore don't know diddle
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

well maby some of them
BigJ71
Kickin Buck
Both know what they are talking about

Hardcore don't know diddle
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on the Wife's small Family Farm and we always help with the work and food plots,last year I decided to talk to a friend that was going to Lease out his much larger property to a few Hunters.I tried to talk him into letting a few of us Bow Hunt there for a longer time period and he would make more money but he didn't want someone to Bow Hunt there and be on the land for that longof a time so 4 of us ended up hunting just during the Rifle Season portion of Deer Season.He had several other guys offer him more money but he knew me and my Wife's Dad and he trusted us to respect his wishes and his land so he let us hunt there instead,he also let my Daughter hunt for free during the Youth Deer Hunt.He takes care of the land and food plots and we couldn't ask for a better Friend or Host.This Springmy Daughter and Me went up to the property and did a lot of tree trimming and cleaning up of some fence rows and logging roads where they drive their 4-wheelers to maintain theproperty during the year and he was thrilled that we returned the favor.We will get to Lease the land again this year and we are getting our Hunting Group together to do some more trimming and we plan on doing some frost seeding and planting in a few area's that we want to improve on the property for this years hunting.Hopefully we will have a long lasting friendship with the Land Owner and we will have a nice place to hunt for many years.

For what we pay for the Lease I couldn't go out and buy that much property,maintain it and pay taxes on it and live a decent life,the Farmers that own property and lease it has that right and have to make a living as well as anyone else,I'm not all forsome of the Big Outfitters that fence in the Game and then charge high prices for someone to kill a Deer,all our hunting area's are open for free ranging deer and we are west of the Mississippi by only a few miles.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

When male ungulates stop growing "horns"; leasing will take a big hit...(You will still have to do something about turkeys, pheasants and waterfowl however to cause it tocease)...Somehow I don't ever see that happening regardless of ones opinion on the subject...

Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter
I use an outfitter to hunt bears in Canada and am not taking any bear hunting ground away for the residents. My outfitter in MN hunted on state ground. My hunts didn't affect the locals' loss of easy access hunting ground. Big difference.
What a bunch of BS....pure unadulterated BS![:'(]

You know damn well that hiring an outfitter and continuing their business to grow no matter WHERE they are or WHAT LAND they use will ONLY get potential outfitters and other outfitters to take notice ESPECIALLY if the outfitter you're using is doing well. As I mentioned before others will look at that success (from a business stand point) and say "I can do that". Perhaps they happen to be based in....say New Mexico (just thought of that state from out of the blue) and decided to start up their own outfitter. Well they will then buy up a vast amount of land.....OR LEASE IT and their business is off and running.......at the expense of J.Q. Public.

Ever hear of the "trickle down effect"? Didn't think so because if you had you wouldn't haveposted your uninformed, ill advised and poorly written post in the first place. Face it, you started spouting off about something you had no idea about. You didn't take the time to research it to find out the possible benefits the state could gain from them, (leases) not to mentionthe financial windfall the farmers might strike. Ever stop to think that maybe....just maybe the farmer is TIREDOF WORKING?? and has a chance to make some serious money without having to actually get up before the dawn and get home after dark?? A farmers life is not easy, most of them work very hard for their money. Who are you to begrudge them an income? It's funny...here you are traipsing across the countrybecause your chasing a dollar but you want the farmers to "just say no"for something that is tossed in their lap,please!!

No, what happenedwas, you ended up with egg on your face because you were called outon the fact that youhave actually helpedexpand the veryactivity you claim to despise and now your doing the "back stroke" that would be the envy of Michael Phelps.....Classic!

Just callin it like it is........
Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

60 bucks an acre for some leases in Illinois!!!! Hmmm, $60times my 19 acres= $1140 under the table. That's a lot of Budweiser[8D]

Thus far most of the talk seems to thave been about leasing for deer, with the perhaps unkind thought by some of usthat if there were far fewer deer, the whole leasing situation would be a non-issue. However, someone pointed out that other thngs like pheasant hunting might take its place. Anybody know what the leasing prices are for land used primarily for small game hunting, or is there even a difference? I know that in Illinois they have never been successful in stocking pheasants, turkeys are too much of a challenge for most folks comapred to dropping a "managed" big buck, and i dont think too many people are gonna shell out big bucks for a lease or outfitter to go kick the brush for rabbits or quail.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

The term "Hoist with his own Petard" comes to mind.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

In some areas if you don't lease land you have very little private land to hunt. It's good for the farmers, timber companies, hunters, and the herds in my area. I don't mind paying to rent the hunting rights for land I could never possibly afford to own or have acces to otherwise.

Most leased land here is privately owned so it is not being taken from the public, actually quite the contrary, me and my buddies can nowbid on it and have a shot at hunting as opposed to having no chance at all. But we admittedly don't have to worry about outside parties/outfitters buying up all the land and driving the lease prices through the roof, not on a large scale anyway, we have seen lease prices here in VA/NC go from 3-4 an acre to 6-8(and a little higher or lower)an acre in the past 10 or more years but I look at it as inflation, nothing more. 1000 acres for $6000 and 20-30 guys leasing it for about $200-300 each per season (and 75-80% of those guys rarely hunt). I love it and try to keep it in perspective.$200-300 a season to hunt some nice private, controlled, and somewhat managed land(food plots and agriculture).Hell I spend more than that every 2 weeks on gas, maybe I should start a thread whining about gas prices or something that at least kind of makes sense.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on leasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.