Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My thoughts on leasing >

My thoughts on leasing

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My thoughts on leasing

Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

NEW,

I agree with you. BUT you are in an area where lease prices have not yet gone crazy. You mightview things differentlyif suddenly it would cost you $30,000 or $40,000 to lease that same 1000 acres of land.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed, however the dynamics of the land in our area and the herds seems to point inthe direction of thatnot happening. I'm sure it will continue to gradually increase butI doubt we will see the spikes in prices and outfittersother areas have seen(especially big buck areas like Illinois, Iowa, etc). I hope not anyway.

Leasing is like anything else in hunting, it's all about location.

Hunters in different regions and areas tend to focus on how something effects them(myself included) but I acknowledge my area is probably worlds apart from yours and many others.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't read all 20 pages of this thing. I lease in Tx. I have the choice not to. If I decide I don't want to lease I can hunt what is open to hunting of the 3% of land in Tx that is publicly owned. That small little bit of public land is highly pressured and overcrowded. Or I can try to buy a few overpriced acres. Average price per undeveloped acre in my county is about $4000. I can lease hunting land that is far from prime in Tx for about $7.50 acre. That way I can lease 100 acres of land with deer and hogs and have a chance. Or I can try to lease some really prime land that carries large bucks and pay up to $100 an acre. Not a reality in my blue collar world.
I can't remember the last time I heard of a handshake deal for permission in Tx. I thought I had one last year when I helped an elderly rancher change a tire. He died before hunting season opened. His son didn't want me to hunt the land.
I lost my lease when the landowner sold the place back in December. I'm looking for another. I've knocked on a bunch of doors and it is futile in Tx. I'll be leasing again. I just hope I can find some decent land that I can afford.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is 4K an acre typical for Texas. I dunno what part you are in so don't know if it is considered agriculture land, or piney woods, or just mesquite brush.

And NEW, land prices seem to be tied to location too. Someone on the board here is selling land in Kentucky for about $1100 an acre. If you offered that amount to someone anywhere in Illinois they would laugh at ya. On the other hand, the 3K anacre that is often paid for land in Illinois would be considered dirt cheapelsewhere. Its all relative.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

LCC, all of the leases I have ever had have been all year leases. Meaning, I can turkey hunt, coyote hunt, deer hunt, and small game hunt. When you stop and think about it, leasing a piece of property that allows you year around activities is really a pretty good deal. Not as good as having a piece of property for free, but when knocking on doors does not work out, leasing is a better deal than paying the same amount (or more) to an outfitter for one week of hunting, or having to deal with the crowds (and having stands stolen) on public ground. I know it sucks when you have a piece of the free ground was taken away because of a lease. This subject has a good side and a bad side, which most subject do. You just have to understand the rules of the game we are playing and either play by the rules or stop playing the game.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kickin,

As you might guess, i dont know much about leasing or how it works from place to place. I just know that in the Midwest it seems to be all about deer hunting. It seems like the few lease ads that i have looked at often have a lot of conditions written into them and can vary from the duration of deer season to the whole year. The few people that I know who lease dont really care about anything but deer. But i would assume that would be different in a pheasant hotspot like Kansas or the Dakotas. I know that in Louisiana where duck hunting is king, some of the leases are not for acreage but for single duck blind locations.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

LCC,

You are correct, some leases do have many conditions with them. I am in the midwest also, I am not a big turkey fan, but I have always said that if I were going to lease ground, then it would have to a year round lease so I could hunt what ever I wanted to hunt. My boys and I enjoy running trail camera, shed hunting, and just scouting in general. So, I would not sign a lease that did not give me rights for the entire 12 months. I lease to have a place hunt, some lease to have a chance a booner. If a person wants just a deer lease, it is no problem with me. However, some on this board don't understand that different people want different things and go about it different way to get it.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havn't leased land but if I had to I would and I may just to secure better quality ground to hunt on.I don't see it as any different than any other hobby.You pay for country club memberships if you want to play golf or greens fee's.You buy 4 wheelers,snowmobile's dirt bikes etc..You buy season tickets for baseball,football,basketball,hockey.
You pay for your interests and entertainment.Capitalism is the way this country works,who is any of us to come down on somebody for utilizing their property in any way they have a legal right to?
I don't like the effect that outfitters have had on certain area's as it relates to available land to hunt on but that is the reality of capitalism.
These circumstances are not going to change.Leasing is no different than any other business endeavor,supply and demand is the bottom line in the most simple terms.