Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation >

Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1. I would Shoot 2. Get the deer
35.43%
1. I wouldn't shoot 2. Get the deer
56.57%
1. I wouldn't shoot 2. I'd leave the deer
8.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok Ethics Police ........2 Part Question .................................................

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

I thought I had answered it in mine...but perhaps not to exact specifications. I'm not getting the deer. My feet are far too big to not know who did it. When a deer dies from a broadhead, there is a lot of blood, meaning that if the landowner is out cruising his property, which it sounds like he would be if he was that adamant about letting no one on it, he is going to see exactly what happened. His CO buddy I'm sure woul dbe more than willing to come investigate and hand out a ticket. The risk is FAR too big for the reward IMO. My dad shot across a fence, lost his license for 3 years because of it. It was the same scenario, uncooperative landowner found the blood marks and disturbed leaves and things, called the CO, came to the house, arrested my dad. Any more clarification needed preach?
I wonder if folks would be so quick to recover their deer if the knew this would happen to them. I am betting a whole lot of answers would change LOL .

How about you PreacherTony? If you knew you would be caught would you still trespass to recover your deer?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ok Ethics Police ........2 Part Question .................................................

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I thought I had answered it in mine...but perhaps not to exact specifications. I'm not getting the deer. My feet are far too big to not know who did it. When a deer dies from a broadhead, there is a lot of blood, meaning that if the landowner is out cruising his property, which it sounds like he would be if he was that adamant about letting no one on it, he is going to see exactly what happened. His CO buddy I'm sure woul dbe more than willing to come investigate and hand out a ticket. The risk is FAR too big for the reward IMO. My dad shot across a fence, lost his license for 3 years because of it. It was the same scenario, uncooperative landowner found the blood marks and disturbed leaves and things, called the CO, came to the house, arrested my dad. Any more clarification needed preach?
I wonder if folks would be so quick to recover their deer if the knew this would happen to them. I am betting a whole lot of answers would change LOL .

How about you PreacherTony? If you knew you would be caught would you still trespass to recover your deer?
He is option 1 I believe, shooting a deer on someelse property, Option 2 was the deer laying 10 yds over the line. If one gets busted for option 1 in MI

For the record I have caught 3 people looking for the deer on our land. We did not call DNR, we help them find their deer. We did say next time we will, but if you ask, we will help you

In MI it's 50 fine for TP

Here is the issue in MI, why we don't bother to call.
Unfortunately, many police agencies (i.e. county sheriff departments, city police officers, etc.) and prosecuting officials (i.e. county prosecutors, city or township attorneys, the Michigan Attorney General's office, etc.) are reluctant to prosecute trespassers—it is simply not a high priority in most jurisdictions. Many law enforcement officials will tell a complaining property owner that they cannot prosecute a trespasser until the offender trespasses a second time.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

No sir, I appreciate your response, Mike ... thank you
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, I understand what you are saying but I was just wondering how many would still recover their deer, even if they shot it on their property, if they knew they would be caught and would have to pay a substantial fine and lose their license for a period of time.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You bet I would .... I would take it to the highest court I could too ..... my personal ethics on notletting a deer rot and waste it overtake man's stupid law, or lack of law to retrieve it ..... but that's me.

I want ot say to those that stuck to their guns about not getting the deer, I respect your ethics on it too .... they just don't match mine ... and you know what ..... that's ok with me, and again, i respect your personal decision.... if you have problems with mine .... deal .....

for those that said they WOULD get a deer that they killed on their property and it dropped on another's ...... I obviously agree with you

for those that said they would shoot a deer on someone else's property ....... I will choose not to comment, except to say that I hope I wouldn't ... I don't think I would ..... but until a booner presented me with the oportunity ... I can't really answer 100%. I am 99% sure I wouldn't .....
Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper my question is this:

Is that not more a he said she said situation with your Dad? Our neighbor can say I shot one over on their land, even if I did not, am I still going to get arrested?
I am not saying this is right or wrong, but I could just say no I did not, and tell them to prove it.

I and my dad have seen our neighbor shoot one across the river(not fence). Granted he had put a slug in the huine Qrt already, than he gut shot it as it sttod in our field. The deer still ran and bedded down. Dad walk up on it and buck was still alive. He finished it off and kept the 12 pointer.

If I understand what happen to your dad, we coould have called DNR and him arrested? The keeping of the deer argument was heated enough[:-]

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Germ, I understand what you are saying but I was just wondering how many would still recover their deer, even if they shot it on their property, if they knew they would be caught and would have to pay a substantial fine and lose their license for a period of time.
I can tell you I know I would not. I can tell you in 23 years I have never had one crossed the line yet.
We have had 1 do so my Dad shot with a bow. It died on the river bank on the other side. I pulled it off with my feet still in the river. Grey area I know, throw me in Jail.

I veiw it two ways, Tresspasing with intent and without. This is as a land owner also.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this scenario (original post in this thread), the burden of proof is going to be on the hunter, based on the friendship between landowner and CO. I don't trust any CO that walks the planet, and if landowneris FRIENDS with the guy doing the investigating, IMO you are screwed either way. There better be buckets of blood showing where the deer ran in order to prove you didn't shoot it on the other side of the fence. I just don't see how it is worth it, no matter how many "buts" are thrown out there.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

In this scenario (original post in this thread), the burden of proof is going to be on the hunter, based on the friendship between landowner and CO. I don't trust any CO that walks the planet, and if landowneris FRIENDS with the guy doing the investigating, IMO you are screwed either way. There better be buckets of blood showing where the deer ran in order to prove you didn't shoot it on the other side of the fence. I just don't see how it is worth it, no matter how many "buts" are thrown out there.
Yooper I agree and I forgot about the "Friend" CO issue.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

How any acres do you own Tony?

Quick Reply: Situation Ethics????........2 Part Question .....**UPDATED WITH twils real life situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.