Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 *EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics) >

*EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Default RE: PROOF IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Unless deer can see lightwaves that are out of the visible light range, there is no way the IR itself could spook them, because they cant see it. That's the whole point of it lol so they don't see it. I'm guessing it was noise the camera made or something else that spooked him.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

From one picture I guess we could determine that they were afraid of feeders, too. Remember.......Kelly/KY had a picture of a buck by a feeder that was kicking up a storm.

'Course.....the rest of that story is.....he had an arrow zipping through his body at about the same time the camera went off.

I don't think individual instances can tell us anything substantially towards "proof", though.
true, but No one is shooting at this guy at 2 AM haha. Ok let me reword this. Its "evidence" that SOME MATURE deer are spooked. Could be the filter, could be the fact that he was looking RIGHT into the LEDs. I dont know for sure.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Unless deer can see lightwaves that are out of the visible light range, there is no way the IR itself could spook them, because they cant see it. That's the whole point of it lol so they don't see it. I'm guessing it was noise the camera made or something else that spooked him.
I can see when the IR goes off, Im pretty sure a deerwho can seeFAR better in the darkcan see the LEDs too.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:17 PM

I don't doubt you, I just wonder why they call it infared if in fact it isn't.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I don't doubt you, I just wonder why they call it infared if in fact it isn't.
Its still infrared which projects light out to around 30-50 feet but where the projection comes from is little dim red lights.. Did you ever have a video camera that had night vision on it? the old sonys did..when you switched it on you could see about 15 feet ahead of you, but when you looked directly at the camera, you could see two dim red lights. They projected the IR. I know what you mean though.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

I firmly believe that IR spooks mature bucks. It doesn't spook them as bad as regular flash, but they stilldon't like it. Not only that, but they don't like the looks of a camera just hanging on a tree either. I've been using cameras for three years now and this year I added 3 IR Cuddebacks to my collection. Now I have these along with 1 Cuddeback Expert regular flash. With the regular flash, after about a week to 10 days, the deer start skirting my camera. I have to keep moving it if I want to get them on film. I cannot bait where I use them so I can't force them to pose for pictures. The mature bucks are the first ones to avoid the cameras. On regular flash cameras, I will only get a mature bucks pic 1 time at the same spot. If I want to try to get him again, I have to move the camera. Basically the same for the IR cameras, they're just not as spooked. I got a mature buck twice in the same spot but once was in daylight when there was no flash (IR). When I got him at night, he spotted the IR and would not come any closer, He finally turned and walked away. I have a 30 sec video of him doing this. You may not be able to see his rack because the batteries were getting very low, but on my PC at home I can see the size of his rack, he's about 140. You can definately see his eyes.

BTW, the other pic of him is right at dusk and is still very hard to see.

Bottom line: Mature bucks are very camera shy! [:-]

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/GregBKH/?action=view&current=40.flv
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Site Buck Guru

Here he is in "daylight". [&:]

Old 02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I think it all depends on the area where the deer live. If the deer are used to seeing people and wierd people objects. This is my first year using my stealth cam prowler adn i havnt had one deer run from my infared camera. i am in a very people populated area though they may be used to seeing different obnject and not be scared of them. even my mature bucks dont have a problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_lzH9sKrI
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I firmly believe that IR spooks mature bucks. It doesn't spook them as bad as regular flash, but they stilldon't like it. Not only that, but they don't like the looks of a camera just hanging on a tree either. I've been using cameras for three years now and this year I added 3 IR Cuddebacks to my collection. Now I have these along with 1 Cuddeback Expert regular flash. With the regular flash, after about a week to 10 days, the deer start skirting my camera. I have to keep moving it if I want to get them on film. I cannot bait where I use them so I can't force them to pose for pictures. The mature bucks are the first ones to avoid the cameras. On regular flash cameras, I will only get a mature bucks pic 1 time at the same spot. If I want to try to get him again, I have to move the camera. Basically the same for the IR cameras, they're just not as spooked. I got a mature buck twice in the same spot but once was in daylight when there was no flash (IR). When I got him at night, he spotted the IR and would not come any closer, He finally turned and walked away. I have a 30 sec video of him doing this. You may not be able to see his rack because the batteries were getting very low, but on my PC at home I can see the size of his rack, he's about 140. You can definately see his eyes.

BTW, the other pic of him is right at dusk and is still very hard to see.

Bottom line: Mature bucks are very camera shy! [:-]

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u85/GregBKH/?action=view&current=40.flv
I think at any given time ANY deer can/will spook for any type of camera...flash or IR. Greg please put up your old avatar of you with your bow kill instead of that crazy looking dude you have as an avatar now. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: foxhill85

I think it all depends on the area where the deer live. If the deer are used to seeing people and wierd people objects. This is my first year using my stealth cam prowler adn i havnt had one deer run from my infared camera. i am in a very people populated area though they may be used to seeing different obnject and not be scared of them. even my mature bucks dont have a problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_lzH9sKrI
You must have missed what I said above.......
I cannot bait where I use them (cameras)so I can't force them to pose for pictures.
Is that a baiting device in your video?

Without bait, mature bucks are camera shy.

Quick Reply: *EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.