Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 *EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics) >

*EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*EVIDENCE* IR spooks some deer (Pics)

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PROOF IR spooks some deer (Pics)

First of all if that is a Moultire I-40 or I-60, that is not "miliseconds" between pics. I don't think it
takes more than 1 picture every 10 seconds (flash and cam have to cycle). It could be as little as 5
seconds, but it is not miliseconds.

Second, I think that more often than not, the deer hear the click of the shutter. If I can hear it from
a couple of feet away, a deer certainly can hear it from farther (especially if calm). I have some Moultrie IRs and I have pics in the night and day where the deer is a blur from the
camera spooking them.

The verdict is still out in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Germ, to answer your question about the Moultrie I40 yes it does take color daylight pics. I just got it this year, and I've been very happy with it.

Greg, if you ever jump back in here, I have a question for you. You have mentioned a number of times that deer, particularly mature bucks, will start skirting you camera within a short period of time regardless of whether it is IR or flash. I am assuming you know they are skirting them because you can see the tracks going around the camera. I would be interested to see what would happen in your area if you simply put a camera out, but left it off. If the deer start skirting it without it off we can rule out both the flash and the IR as what bothers the deer, as well as the noise. If they don't we can assume it is most likely the flash. It may seem to be a foolish experiment, but I know I'd eagerly anticipate the answer. What do you think?
1) I get 2 full months battery life on my Cudde's in the cold (-12) weather along with taking 30 sec video with each pic.

2) I know they are skirting the cameras by the tracks in the snow.

3) They really notice the camera when it's mounted to a real skinny tree (profiled). They are looking at it when their pic is taken in the daylight.

I'm going to try a couple of things.

1) Camo the camera.
2) Put the camera up high and angle it downward.
3) Last resort...... stop taking night time pics.

I really don't want to do #3, because during the time I have my cameras out, there are periods where almost all of the deer activity is night time. I experience this several times from end of Nov to end of March. I'd miss out on a lot of big bucks doing this.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Germ, to answer your question about the Moultrie I40 yes it does take color daylight pics. I just got it this year, and I've been very happy with it.

Greg, if you ever jump back in here, I have a question for you. You have mentioned a number of times that deer, particularly mature bucks, will start skirting you camera within a short period of time regardless of whether it is IR or flash. I am assuming you know they are skirting them because you can see the tracks going around the camera. I would be interested to see what would happen in your area if you simply put a camera out, but left it off. If the deer start skirting it without it off we can rule out both the flash and the IR as what bothers the deer, as well as the noise. If they don't we can assume it is most likely the flash. It may seem to be a foolish experiment, but I know I'd eagerly anticipate the answer. What do you think?
1) I get 2 full months battery life on my Cudde's in the cold (-12) weather along with taking 30 sec video with each pic.

2) I know they are skirting the cameras by the tracks in the snow.

3) They really notice the camera when it's mounted to a real skinny tree (profiled). They are looking at it when their pic is taken in the daylight.

I'm going to try a couple of things.

1) Camo the camera.
2) Put the camera up high and angle it downward.
3) Last resort...... stop taking night time pics.

I really don't want to do #3, because during the time I have my cameras out, there are periods where almost all of the deer activity is night time. I experience this several times from end of Nov to end of March. I'd miss out on a lot of big bucks doing this.
Greg I do this and it works real well! I hang mine over a trail from a tree limb facing down. I try to put it like 10 feet off the ground. Great for catching tresspassers too.