Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are the record books "tainted" now?? >

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are the record books "tainted" now??

Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are the record books "tainted" now??

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Atlas it's hard for me to believe the average hunter has done what you claim.
Perhaps YOU don't give enough credit to the average hunter. We're a pretty amazing group. We've seen and done a lot of things. You don't have to be cute or a TV personnality to succeed and know a few things. In fact, probably many of us know more than the so called EXPERTS on TV. Yup, don't sell the average hunter short.

As far as QDM, I'm saying the CRAZE for bigger horns is what propelled QDM. That's what it's all about. NOT EVER do you here these guys talk about big mature healthy does. They only talk about them in terms of buck to doe ratio and thinning them out so they can get BIG MATURE BUCKS with BIG RACKS. THe biggest and most mature buck on the place might very well be an 8 point. We've seen it time and time again on these shows where a big 8 is the dominant critter on the field. When they shoot him they claim to be culling an inferior buck. What's inferior about him. He's the biggest and the bully on the block and the dominant critter. EXCEPT his horns are too small. It's all about horns to these guys, not the dominant creature. It's all about score. Survival of the fittest has nothing to do with it behind these fences.
I hate to break it to you, but if you go to the Co-Ops here in MI, they talk about does One member has not shot a buck in seven years. He just shoots mature does and loves it.

What you describe above is not QDM, period.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Atlas it's hard for me to believe the average hunter has done what you claim.
Perhaps YOU don't give enough credit to the average hunter. We're a pretty amazing group. We've seen and done a lot of things. You don't have to be cute or a TV personnality to succeed and know a few things. In fact, probably many of us know more than the so called EXPERTS on TV. Yup, don't sell the average hunter short.

As far as QDM, I'm saying the CRAZE for bigger horns is what propelled QDM. That's what it's all about. NOT EVER do you here these guys talk about big mature healthy does. They only talk about them in terms of buck to doe ratio and thinning them out so they can get BIG MATURE BUCKS with BIG RACKS. THe biggest and most mature buck on the place might very well be an 8 point. We've seen it time and time again on these shows where a big 8 is the dominant critter on the field. When they shoot him they claim to be culling an inferior buck. What's inferior about him. He's the biggest and the bully on the block and the dominant critter. EXCEPT his horns are too small. It's all about horns to these guys, not the dominant creature. It's all about score. Survival of the fittest has nothing to do with it behind these fences.
I hate to break it to you, but if you go to the Co-Ops here in MI, they talk about does One member has not shot a buck in seven years. He just shoots mature does and loves it.

What you describe above is not QDM, period.
I like how you lump everyone in the same category David!! Typical BS!! Who gives a damn what the QDM guys on TV are doing, thats them and it sure the heck isn't US, me, Germ, anyone for that matter that manages the doe's as well as the bucks in an area. It would be boring as heck for me if I didn't shoot any doe's while doing my managing practices on my land!! I'd go without a deer damn near every year!! Don't be so quick to judge someone until you know the facts, that gets real old on here quick.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would say that there are definitely more pope and youngs in my area, but no I dont believe the books are tainted
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Obviously I struck a nerve or two. Sit back as if you were a non hunter and tell me what these guys are pushing. It's bigger racks.... PERIOD. They will kill the dominant and most boss hog deer in a heart beat and call it a CULL deer if it doesn't have more than 8 points. And then they tell you they have to take these deer from the herd because .... well because really, their racks are to dang small. Even the idiots that go to places like Tecomate and buy into this pay by the inch. An 8 pointer is a management buck and doesn't cost as much. He might be the slickest and baddest dude going, but they call him the cheap hunt. In the next voice they say their animals behind these fences are as tough to hunt as something in the Adirondacks and should be allowed in "THE BOOK". They cheapen the animal to me. They try to convince us all that Horn size is the true determination of an animals worth. They've made the sport of hunting a numbers game. A horn size game. Nope, they haven't done a thing to move the sport of hunting forward.... only farming and Macho stuff.

As far as this
Blah ...blah ...blah. SOS
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Obviously I struck a nerve or two. Sit back as if you were a non hunter and tell me what these guys are pushing. It's bigger racks.... PERIOD. They will kill the dominant and most boss hog deer in a heart beat and call it a CULL deer if it doesn't have more than 8 points. And then they tell you they have to take these deer from the herd because .... well because really, their racks are to dang small. Even the idiots that go to places like Tecomate and buy into this pay by the inch. An 8 pointer is a management buck and doesn't cost as much. He might be the slickest and baddest dude going, but they call him the cheap hunt. In the next voice they say their animals behind these fences are as tough to hunt as something in the Adirondacks and should be allowed in "THE BOOK". They cheapen the animal to me. They try to convince us all that Horn size is the true determination of an animals worth. They've made the sport of hunting a numbers game. A horn size game. Nope, they haven't done a thing to move the sport of hunting forward.... only farming and Macho stuff.

As far as this
Bla Bla Bla, right back at ya!!! Your old enough to know that whats going on in one place isn't going on in every place, come on now David!!!! We are not talking about fenced deer or what some big time hunter on TV takes on film, this is about me and you and everyone else, we are talking about wild deer!! Like i said before who cares what the fenced people are doing or the TV guys are doing, we are not them big fella. We are us doing our management thing, shooting doe's, etc!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

As far as this
HAve you ever been to a meeting of a QDM CO-OP?
Talk to members?
Know a member?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Talk to members?
No. Why would I want to? Have you ever been to a tupperware party?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Talk to members?
No. Why would I want to? Have you ever been to a tupperware party?
Yes
I tend to go to events to learn, so I know, and don't make statements to where I have to remove my foot from my mouth

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/deeroftheday/DD_july_2007/index2.html