Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Record Books....who cares? >

Record Books....who cares?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Record Books....who cares?

Old 01-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Default Record Books....who cares?

All over the country there are book class animals that are never entered into the books. For what reasons do you or would you enter your harvests that qualify for Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett? Or for what reasons would you choose not to enter a book class animal into the record books?
Old 01-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Record Books....who cares?

Good post. I respect the organization of PY and the integrity it has maintained despite the changing landscape of bowhunting. I have been fortunate enough to harvest some PY bucks but have never entered them into the book. Why? Hmmm, good question. I guess I don't care as much about having my name in the book but do appreciate them and I, as does the hunting world, use their entry requirements and restrictions as a standard to guage the quality of a buck's rack and the method in which it was harvested. I feel that an organization such as PY is very important to the maintenance of the sport's integrity. With the technology of bow's ever increasing and the pressure put on the consumer by peers and advertising to buy the latest, fastest, quietest bow with 85% letoff and all the bells and whistles coupled with the pressure on hunters by media and peers to harvest "monster" bucks every year, there needs to be a solid stablizing factor and in my opinion, Pope and Young is it.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:24 PM

If I were to shoot the world record buck I think like the buck Milo shot
you wouldn't have much of a choice.My father along with my uncles went after
the biggest bucks they could find,and were very successful.I have yet to see one of them even have one mounted or scored.The pics I have seen of them would
definetly make at least P&Y.So as I hunted with my dad it was the same for me
record books didn't mean anything to me,it was more of outwitting the buck then
going out to put one in a record book.Alot of times I think the pressure of getting it scored and in a book to prove you are a good deer hunter is over rated.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you had a world record or close to it ,that would be okay ,but if its just a nice animal I wouldn't bother . I'm not looking for glory rather I hunt because I enjoy it .We have taken some that would make the entry but have never bothered . I don't feel I have to impress anyone .
Old 01-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think its neat to look at the books, to score deer etc, but I wouldn't put my animals in one I think - why ? Money - I aint going to pay for it, even though I understand it - just not worth it to me. The animals headgear is good enough for me, I don't need to have my name in the book for satisfaction. Remember, its the Hunt that matters, not the kill.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respect the P&Y Club for the contributions they have made to this great sport but the fact is that they are just a club,plain and simple. A private club,if you don't wish to join,don't.I entered my first "trophy" buck in their book but after that I don't care if the rest of the world knows who,when & where another "trophy" buck came from in my area!!! It's to damn hard now to keep a place to hunt without needing people to come in and start buying up or leasing the ground I hunt,so it is for that reason that I have chose not to enter my other trophies and anymore of them I may take in the future.Oh, and one more thing,screw P&Y - The Beatty Buck is the World Record bowkill !!!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be honest, I realy don't care for the "books" when I do finaly kill my 125" gross buck I will be sure to let everyone here know about it, but I won't enter it in any books.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't ever thought much of trophy books. I have seen some of the most beautiful bucks in the world and they dont score enough because of decuctions. when im hunting and a buck walks by i never think about record books. if its a deer that will complement my wall....
Old 01-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the animals deserve the recognition to be entered into the books not the hunter.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

TO ME THE HUNT ISN'T ABOUT HOW BIG OF A BUCK I'M GOING TO SHOOT, AS LONG AS I FILL MY FREEZER UP WITH MEAT FOR MY FAMILY THEN I AM HAPPY, I LIKE LOOKING AT THE RECORD BOOKS BUT DON'T REALLY CARE IF I EVER SHOOT ONE THAT BIG

Quick Reply: Record Books....who cares?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.