Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage on larger game? >

Rage on larger game?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage on larger game?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage on larger game?

Has anyone used the Rage 2-blades on an elk, moose, etc? I am planning on using them this fall for my elk hunts, but I would like to get some information from anyone who has first hand experience with their performance on larger boned animals.

For those who shot them on deer, was there a noticeable decrease in penetration on the far side? Meaning even if it was a pass through, did you notice that it didn't stick in the dirt like your fixed blades always did or anything like that?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rage on larger game?

My arrows all bury deep'

From what I could tell is was about the same as my Montecs
Old 01-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

All four of my kills with the Rage 2 blade were complete pass throughs. Two of them resulted in the arrow sticking in the ground.

The other two were quartering away and the arrow ended up on the ground. One of these partially passed through the opposite shoulder blade and the other passed through the opposite front shoulder muscle.

Our NC deer are a lot smaller than your elk. It would be good to hear from someone who has shot something bigger.

Edit: I had a pic in here of another ghastly rage wound but it was unnecessary.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

My arrows all bury deep'

From what I could tell is was about the same as my Montecs
That is just WAY too easy I assume Montecs are cut on contact fixed blades?

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

One of these partially passed through the opposite shoulder blade and the other passed through the opposite front shoulder muscle.
Knowing that it will go through a shoulder blade is definitely helpful. Even if it was a tiny NC deer
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Montcs are cut on contact Fix blade
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one experience with the rage. When I was in Wisconsin this past fall a young fellow tried to use one on a large buck. He was using a brand new Bow-Tech with carbon arrows. My friend and I were eating lunch and overlookng a large field. We saw this buck walkng a fence row and he then jumped the fence easily. He walked right across the field and started coming quartering towards us a little. I told my buddy (he was using a compound) to sneak up to the edge of a pond in front ofus for a possible shot. When my freind came back he said the buck was wounded and hit perfectly (but we saw him cross a 300 yard field and jump a fence). Anyway we waited for the hunters to show up which they did. Wesignaled them over and showed them where the buck went in. Anyway, the rage (two blade) did not get good penetration and it only penetrated one lung (from 40 yards). The buck was never found.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a big boar with the rage 3 blade and a 55 pound bow and i think it penetrated 2 or 3 inches so i switched to magnus stingers

Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

losta deer last week to rage 2not panetrating ,
fly good but i wont use them again
they are ok but a lot of people had issues with them not penatrating,
while some had good luck with them
im sticking to fixed blades and cut on contact
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I also had problems with penetration fromthe Rage on whitetails. Shot 3 deer, 2 partial pass thrus, and 1 lodged on opposite shoulder. All deer were easily recovered as two went down within sight and one left easy blood trail once the arrow broke off, so didn't cost me but did concern me.

However, I was shooting low poundage and only getting 61# KE. I also went from a 125grBH to the 100gr Rage and didn't re-tune my bow so this may or may not have been a contributing factor to my poor penetration.

I have heard enough good things about the Rage that I think they have to befine on whitetails, if you shooting enough KE. I plan on increasing my KE and try some again next year on whitetail.

However, even though you will naturally be shooting a higher KE if your bow is properly set up for elk,mechanicals are highly frowned upon within the elk community, because it takes much more KE for proper penetration on elk. Keep in mind my 61#KE continues to work fine with a fixed head on whitetails.

In most instances you don't have that "excess KE"when shooting an elk compared to a whitetail as they are much bigger and tougher to begin with and you need all the KE available for penetration and not blade deployment. I would not recommend using a Rage on elk based on this assumption, but thats just me.

I prefer a 125gr for elk as I think a lot, if not most, elk hunters do for the additional KE a heavier BH gives you especially with 30yard plus shots.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good question huntingson, i have been wondering the same thing on BIGGER game.
ORIGINAL: huntingson

Has anyone used the Rage 2-blades on an elk, moose, etc? I am planning on using them this fall for my elk hunts, but I would like to get some information from anyone who has first hand experience with their performance on larger boned animals.

For those who shot them on deer, was there a noticeable decrease in penetration on the far side? Meaning even if it was a pass through, did you notice that it didn't stick in the dirt like your fixed blades always did or anything like that?