HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rage on larger game?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
jackflap
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rage on larger game?

I also had problems with penetration fromthe Rage on whitetails. Shot 3 deer, 2 partial pass thrus, and 1 lodged on opposite shoulder. All deer were easily recovered as two went down within sight and one left easy blood trail once the arrow broke off, so didn't cost me but did concern me.

However, I was shooting low poundage and only getting 61# KE. I also went from a 125grBH to the 100gr Rage and didn't re-tune my bow so this may or may not have been a contributing factor to my poor penetration.

I have heard enough good things about the Rage that I think they have to befine on whitetails, if you shooting enough KE. I plan on increasing my KE and try some again next year on whitetail.

However, even though you will naturally be shooting a higher KE if your bow is properly set up for elk,mechanicals are highly frowned upon within the elk community, because it takes much more KE for proper penetration on elk. Keep in mind my 61#KE continues to work fine with a fixed head on whitetails.

In most instances you don't have that "excess KE"when shooting an elk compared to a whitetail as they are much bigger and tougher to begin with and you need all the KE available for penetration and not blade deployment. I would not recommend using a Rage on elk based on this assumption, but thats just me.

I prefer a 125gr for elk as I think a lot, if not most, elk hunters do for the additional KE a heavier BH gives you especially with 30yard plus shots.