Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New 4-wheeler

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default New 4-wheeler

Hey fellas I have been thinking bout getting a new 4-wheeler. I want a small light weight four wheeler. Been thinking about a Honda Recon, something small and can maneuver in the woods. Also really light in the back of my truck. Does anybody have one? What are the pro and cons? The only thing is the motor is kinda small... Just some places I bowhunt I can go further on a smaller 4-wheeler and haul my stuff further. Thanks...
Old 01-27-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: New 4-wheeler

Anything from Honda will be great and will last almost forever. The Recon os a nice bike, but pretty small and underpowered. Have youo looked into the Rancher?? Its just a little bigger than the Recon and has a lot more power, if you can find a used one you can get a pretty good deal. They are making the Rancher now in a 420cc with fuel injection, and its a powerhouse, and not a huge bike like the Foremans or Rincon. I had an 01 350 Rancher, and sold it for $2000 with 2500 miles on it, and bought an 07 420 Rancher 4x4 for $5100 and its an awesome machine. Whateven you get post some pics.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Angus 110% the rancher is the perfect wheeler for a hunter. It has more then enough power to get there and back, but in a small enough package that you can use it in the woods. My family has two 350cc ranchers and it has power to spare and the newer ones have bigger engines, fuel injected (which is nice for cold weather) and i think some even have power stearing now. we usually only use ours for getting the deer back to the truck, and because of that i haven't had to drag a deer more then a few yards for a couple years. Well opening day this year we didn't have it with us (brought it in for some new tires and they didn't finish it in time for us to pick it up, aggrivating) and my dad shot a nice basket 8 point about as far away from the trucks as possible. Which meant my brothers and I had a nice long uphill drag haha
Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 350 rancher and i have put it through hell and it just keep goin and goin.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned lots of Honda's and they are Tough!! I currently have a Polaris and it has been a good machine also.

Dan
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have a yamaha kodiak 400 4x4 and I am very happy with it.It is not too big and bulky for the smaller trails yet has all the power i have ever needed.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Killadoe,
My brother and I both have 1990 Honda TRX 4x4 with the 300 cc engine. We use them as mules and they take all that we can give, not unusal for it to be loaded down with 100 pds of corn, 2 hunters and our gear (stand and bow or guns). Never had any work done to them just tores.

Jim
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Recon electric shift, i bought it just for the reasons you describe. It is a breeze to manuver in the woods and to haul deer out. I have yet to be in a situation where it was under powered. Cons:: It is geared a little low so road travel is not very fast, she tends to wind up a little. Had trouble once with the electric shift angle sensor, honda made good on it and has went to a better part. I have no trouble at all now. very reliable four wheeler
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Rancher. I have a two wheel drive and it goes in and out of ditches easily and still small enough to do 360s on the dirt roads. Only time it's been stuck was when I ran through 4x4 ruts and the rear axle was on top with both rear wheels off the ground. Still, it was light enough to pick up and move the rear end, then the front end. I can also add that it's more than powerful enough for yard use. I use it to move my 13ft boat around, about 1000lbs with all equipment, because my truck won't fit in the area that I park it. The Rancher pulls the boat out onto the road without a problem and moves it right back into it's hole without one.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Artic Cat. Hands down. They are what the older Honda's used to be. IMO Honda just can't hang with the AC's. And this comes from years and years of riding in the harshest conditions along with every make out there.

Quick Reply: New 4-wheeler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.