Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad are your misses? >

How bad are your misses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad are your misses?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Default How bad are your misses?

I have seen some stuff about accuracy with different gear and some logic used to justify equipment choices so it got me wondering how bad people out there are actually missing by.

It is said commonly in reference to the WB that a bad follow through will end up in a worse shot due to the rest being in contact with the arrow longer..........what I wonder is how bad of a miss are you blaming this on?? Are we talking an inch or two or sticking one in the ham of your McKenzie at 20 yards??

Another I hear a lot is torque.........how bad are the misses that are being blamed on grip torque??.......are you guys really missing by a foot or two and if so how badly are you choking and twisting that grip to see this??

It just makes me wonder because I honestly don't know what I would have to do to miss by THAT much........(from a reasonable yardage) I would honestly have to work harder to miss by a TON then I do to shoot a nice shot. I just don't have dramatic misses when I shoot and can't phathom what other guys are doing if every 3rd or 4th arrow is missing by a foot.

Let me clarify that I don't even consider myself a great shot........I am not a bad shot by any means but I'm not winning any contests that's for sure. During shooting a few times when I have been bored though I would TRY bad habits to see what they did........the only way I could get torque to pull me out of the vitals was so extreme that no one would ever do and I couldn't even get grip pressure to mess me up (I can put a death squeeze on the riser and still be more then lethal).

Maybe people are referring to a couple inch "miss" when they blame some of the above..........just wondering.

Again, I am talking about reasonable yardage shots.........I just can't imagine how bad your habits have to be to be missing by a couple feet at these ranges.

Are we blaming other things because we don't want to admit we yipped the snot out of that shot or are you guys really seeing horrible misses at the slightest break from PERFECT form and execution??
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How bad are your misses?

From 20 yds....my misses are evident.

From 30 and 40 yds....I consider anything outside the 10 ring on a 3D animal a "miss".

It gets larger ("acceptable") "miss" at longer yardages, naturally.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your buck is still alive the next day, That's a big miss.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM

I have tested this while practicing and found that canting the bow made me shoot several inches off either side. Up and down was still fine. I think as far as hunting goes you would still be lethal as long as you aimed in the right spot to begin with. If you aimed too far back and canted the bow, then your wounding odds increase of course. just what i have seen. If you are missing more than 3-4" it prolly has nothing to do with canting the bow a little. JMO.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

about the only time i miss by about one or two feet is if i (and this is very rare) flinch i guess you call it jerk about the time i release, like i said it has hapened, but not very often at all. my son had picked up the habit of punching the trigger very bad, and was occasionally throwing a bad shot,i like to never broke him of that, he good to go now.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM

The misses i have made were all clean misses!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only shoot at 20 thru 40 yrds so a miss to me would be outside the 10 ring or kill zone witch is a big rareity,but 2 yrs ago I hit a Elk in the chest..3-D shoot....when all said and done it was a 57yrd shot and I did it with my 40yrd pin.I guess if I had a 50yrd pin and practiced that far I wouldnt of missed at all......
Iam adding my 50yrd pin back on now due to the fact Iam going mule hunting this fall and should practice,practice,practice my 50yrd shots........
I cant remember the last time in 20+ yrs that ive blamed my equipment......Not knowing your limitations or Bows capabilty is the number one reason for poor shooting......not discludeing proper form and haveing a well tuned bow...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I blame my misses on torqueing the grip which can greatly effect fixed bladed heads IMO... I practiced every scenario and was tuned perfectly with fixed heads and went 0 for 3 all clean misses in 06...went back home practiced & practiced with all my clothes on from a treestand dead on...Only thing I can blame it on is me torqueing the bow in the heat of the moment....Thats the number one reason I tune and practice with fixed heads and hunt with Mechs...I went 4 for 4 this year...
I dont know what you consider a miss but I missed the animals my maybe an inch..but they were way off their mark...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 PM

4 feet was by far the worst miss that I have ever had in the field. A two blade steelforce broadhead on carbon express shaft that wobbled ever so slightly. I learned the hard way the importance of a well tuned arrow. That arrow planed off course immediately. I think the buck actually stopped long enough to laugh before he waved the white flag. For me any wobble is to much and I have also switched to a low profile head (Tricks).

My biggest miss indoors was at the range trying out my first mechanical release. I was the proud owner of an arrow stuck in the ceiling half way down range. I hit the trigger while drawing back. The only comfort was the fact that the hole left by my arrow was not the first in the ceiling.

Tom

Old 01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I have tested this while practicing and found that canting the bow made me shoot several inches off either side. Up and down was still fine. I think as far as hunting goes you would still be lethal as long as you aimed in the right spot to begin with. If you aimed too far back and canted the bow, then your wounding odds increase of course. just what i have seen. If you are missing more than 3-4" it prolly has nothing to do with canting the bow a little. JMO.
I agree with the Canting the bow statement. Exspecially on side hill shots. I'll never shoot without a level bubble in the site picture again. It really makes a difference.

Quick Reply: How bad are your misses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.