Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad are your misses? >

How bad are your misses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad are your misses?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How bad are your misses?

Where canting is negate, is when shooting extreme uphill or downhill. At these angles the plane of the level changes and plum will now be front to back of the bow (from string to riser) and torque would now be cant and moving top limb left or right becomes torque. A little experiment to prove this, hold your bow out in front of you as plum to earth (level) as you can and slowly raise your bow up and over your head. At a certain position the level will fall quickly left or right.

Okay, back on topic.

How far are my misses? A missed deer, too far, a wounded deer, too far, a dead deer, irrelavant.

In target, usually inches. Go figure.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that you will lose the forgiveness if you set up with cant but as long as the bow is setup for it and you have your 3rd set to the arrow and you repeat it EXACTLY everytime,it will be correct but those are alot of ifs,that is why it is not recommended.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Tfox,

So they make sights that tilt? Other wise wouldn't your pins look like this
o
o
o
o

Yes,they make sights that have a 2nd axis adjustment,meaning they will tilt.Most don't tilt much but they will tilt.

2nd axis adjustment is what sets your bubble.
If I'm understanding TFOX right,

The ONLY way a bow can be canted is if the bow is sighted in on a cant. Giving the example rybo gave us on pin configuration, the bow would actually have to be canted top limb left. That bow would have to be sighted in top limb left to be accurate out to different differences.

When a bow is sighted in level(plum)/perpendicular to earth and you then cant your bow, your shot will always be off the direction of the cant. Example, top limb right, you'll hit right beyond your top pin. It makes a difference the further your trying to shoot with the cant. People without levels have a tendancy to cant with a hill, cant down hill. Canting the top limb into a hill will usually bring the bow back plum to earth, check this with a level.

In the example rybo gave us with the pin configuration. Consider your top pin sighted in at 20 yards. Now with that same cant, raise your bow up for a 50 yard shot, you would physically have to move your bow to the right in order to bring your 50 yard pin over to the target. (assuming the bow was sighted in plum). Your 20 yard pin will now be to the right of the target, your shot will go right.

If the bow is sighted in with a cant, the top limb left, the cant will compensate for the misalignment in pins. This has to be consistant or it would never work, NOT recommended.
Thanks for the explanation Rob. How come trad guys always got that sucker canted in a big way? I guess thay try and cant it to the same spot every time???
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the explanation Rob. How come trad guys always got that sucker canted in a big way? I guess thay try and cant it to the same spot every time???
Exactly, same cant every time and without sights, they are usually looking down the arrow, tip with instinct, also, the cant keeps the arrow in the rest/shelf creating a V if you would. Not being a avid traditionalist, perhaps one of those guys can touch base on that one.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

When I shoot my longbow I never think of it. I have to shoot canted to have a clear sighting picture around my riser.

I don't even consciously think about whether I'm repeating the same angle of cant......and I'd like to know if that matters......IF....you are basically sighting each shot, independently. "Instinctive" to ME means "adapting" to whatever's before you. Different cant? Different sight picture.

We also don't have to worry about vertical pins.....so the cant is not only necessary.....it's not a hinderance.

Does this hold water?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't conciously aim any different when I shoot my trad bow vertical or canted. I just make sure my eye is over the arrow. Then I think one can get away with varying degrees of cant. I was also told that just like bending at the waist when shooting from a tree, bending at the waist to cant, keeps things more accurate.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Sometimes close is good enough. [&:]