Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad are your misses? >

How bad are your misses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad are your misses?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Default RE: How bad are your misses?

If I don't hit where I was aiming, I'm not happy.

The pictures I posted in my WB thread would not make me happy if I had shot them towards the middle of summer. I shoot a lot and expect my groups to reflect the amount of time I put into my shooting.

The 30 and 40 yard pictures were decent, but the 20 yard picture wouldn't cut it.

A miss is a miss is a miss in my book, whether you're off an inch or a foot it's a miss. I hold myself to higher standards than I would anyone else though...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

My misses don't get much worse than the bottom arrow.I keed.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I have tested this while practicing and found that canting the bow made me shoot several inches off either side. Up and down was still fine. I think as far as hunting goes you would still be lethal as long as you aimed in the right spot to begin with. If you aimed too far back and canted the bow, then your wounding odds increase of course. just what i have seen. If you are missing more than 3-4" it prolly has nothing to do with canting the bow a little. JMO.
I agree with the Canting the bow statement. Exspecially on side hill shots. I'll never shoot without a level bubble in the site picture again. It really makes a difference.

MO.........how does Nugent get away with canting the bow so much?? Just because he shoots the same every time??
I've not had much experience with recurves/longbows but it seems to me that they always are canting the bow. Is this the norm?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

My misses don't get much worse than the bottom arrow.I keed.

where did you get my pic of my 90 yard group
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I have tested this while practicing and found that canting the bow made me shoot several inches off either side. Up and down was still fine. I think as far as hunting goes you would still be lethal as long as you aimed in the right spot to begin with. If you aimed too far back and canted the bow, then your wounding odds increase of course. just what i have seen. If you are missing more than 3-4" it prolly has nothing to do with canting the bow a little. JMO.
I agree with the Canting the bow statement. Exspecially on side hill shots. I'll never shoot without a level bubble in the site picture again. It really makes a difference.

MO.........how does Nugent get away with canting the bow so much?? Just because he shoots the same every time??
I've not had much experience with recurves/longbows but it seems to me that they always are canting the bow. Is this the norm?

Nuge learned on trad gear I believe and carried over his style to compounds.........it is definitely unusual.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

So if you hold the bow consistantly, canting isn't bad as long as you hold the same every time. I can see how it would be a little difficult to shoot trad bows and compounds and switch your form style.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

I only missed once this season, I was sitting on the side of a hill on my camp chair, over looking a feeding area. I wasn't paying any attention and a small buck(4 point) came walking in and laid down, well after like thiry minutes I got up and crept up on him to about 10 yards he stood up and I took a good shot, well i thought it was a good shot, my arrow went low and hit a small tree and stuck in it. I had to break it over to get my arrow back.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Not really sure to be honest. I guess it is because you can still have good groups shooting with a slightly canted bow but they are going to push one way or the other. Plus I think he shoots instinctively. Dont quote me on that, but i never see him have a peep. He uses that red dot scope, which i have know idea how that works.[&:] Didnt see your last post, but i agree with him using his compound like a trad bow.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

As far as I know he shoots instinctive with his compounds, too. I saw his show last night and he was shooting his compound, canted, with no sight.

If you can do it the same,every time......that's all we can ask for.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you can cant a bow AND use sights. I believe Nuge shoots bare bow when he cants it. If he is using a sighting system he's going to have to keep it vertical (unless you could invent some sort of angled bracket that mounts to the bow to allow for cant.)

I think that is also why his arow is nocked real high(compared to where he attaches his release) He sights right down the arrow. And with the flat shooting of todays compounds, I'm sure it is quite accurate without being as difficult as one would think.

Quick Reply: How bad are your misses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.