Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How bad are your misses? >

How bad are your misses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How bad are your misses?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How bad are your misses?

if i miss an animal when it happens it is usaully by a few inches or less like this year i missed a huge 9-point wit split brow tines at 10yrds by about an inch literally an inch
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Dominant Buck

if i miss an animal when it happens it is usaully by a few inches or less like this year i missed a huge 9-point wit split brow tines at 10yrds by about an inch literally an inch
Just wondering.....

You guys who say you had clean misses by a narrow margin.......

How far did you miss where you were aiming?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a tree 16 yds up and 13 yds to left of a doe this year[&:]
Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greenboy

I do not mean this to sound too critical, but if you missed him completely, you missed by a whole lot more than an inch. Don't feel bad though, I have missed animals by feet! No lie. I used to get target panic really bad. I would jerk the trigger and immediately look for the arrow instead of following through. That habit cost me god knows how many animals.

Oh well, we can't all be perfect.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just wondering.....

You guys who say you had clean misses by a narrow margin.......

How far did you miss where you were aiming?

LOL I was wondering the same thing.

I missed 2 wolves by a few inches.....but way off my intended target. If I miss, its because I'm too jacked up and don't take the time to control myself. Sometimes this is my biggest weakness.

OOPS, I forgot to mention that I had controlled myself with the wolves, just overestimated the yardage.....bad.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

I seldom miss by more than 15-18" @ 30 yards, which I think is pretty darn good considering I use a whisker biscuit.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of my shots in the yard, even though “missing” my intended aim, would still kill a deer. That’s really all that matters to me. Every great once in a while I get a weird thing where I just jerk badly at the moment of release. Its very rare, but results in a very far off shot. 1-2 feet off.

Now my past misses at deer, were usually never by too much, and nearly always for a misjudged yardage. There were a few that ducked. And my most recent miss was a combination of factors that were my fault, but all added up to just missing a doe. Even though I probably hit where I was aiming. To explain, my close pin was sighted in for 22 yds. She was 15 yds, & at 15 I’m a little high. I also tend to aim a little higher than most when it comes to shooting deer from a tree(but I am working on it) She was also REALLY on edge for some reason. Wind was good, she never looked up. All those things combined with my error to aim low to compensate for both the closeness of the shot AND her temperament sailed my arrow JUST over her back.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say my misses are do to my form, grip, and possibley not tunned bow....add it all together you can get some lost arrows, broken arrows, or sometimes great shots!!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

I have tested this while practicing and found that canting the bow made me shoot several inches off either side. Up and down was still fine. I think as far as hunting goes you would still be lethal as long as you aimed in the right spot to begin with. If you aimed too far back and canted the bow, then your wounding odds increase of course. just what i have seen. If you are missing more than 3-4" it prolly has nothing to do with canting the bow a little. JMO.
I agree with the Canting the bow statement. Exspecially on side hill shots. I'll never shoot without a level bubble in the site picture again. It really makes a difference.

MO.........how does Nugent get away with canting the bow so much?? Just because he shoots the same every time??
Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i missed my whole target and back stop once. keep in mind my backstop is 2 hay bales high, stacked on their sides(strings out not up) and 2 wide(side by side)

yep...that was a big miss. luckily the fence stopped my arrow

that miss was due to a terrible case of target panic...once in a blue moon i will get super jumpy and nervous for some odd reason...usually put the bow away and find something else to do...that day i decided to try to shoot through it and "cure it" didnt even hit my anchors and the arrow was loose...

most my shooting though, i can carry the ole 1" for every 10yds pretty easily though...anything outside that i consider a bad shot/miss. typically my shooting within 40yds is better than that "rule of thumb" though..

Quick Reply: How bad are your misses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.