Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stand possion ?

Old 01-18-2002, 05:35 PM

Default stand possion ?

i am hunting a well hunted area and was wonedein if i shold place my stand in some pines or eles were
Old 01-18-2002, 07:39 PM

Default RE: stand possion ?

Not to sound smart, but do your scouting and you will know where to place it. If your area is heavily hunted the pines or thick places may be the place to hunt.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:03 PM

Try hunting escape cover and small patches of thick brush that other hunters might overlook.

Good Luck!

John
Old 01-18-2002, 08:20 PM

check to see where they are feeding and bedding and setup inbetween on the travle route.
never set up in the bedding area.do a little scouting befor season and be ready on opening day.that way you want be walking all around during the season.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:56 PM

If you can get there, try standing at the back edge of public area. Get there early, and let the other hunters push the deer to you.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:12 PM

b584 if your season is out now is a good time to scout. I have been able to learn a lot about new hunting areas by scouting mid-day or at some time you dont expect deer to be moving. This time of year I find deer to be in the thickest areas. Go in there and make note of where you jump deer. This is the most effective means I have found of locating bedding areas, but I dont recomend doing this untill post season. Once you have found the beds scout the trails heading outward, find the prefered food source set up in the middle and he will come , or not , its a start anyway good luck....hill
Old 01-18-2002, 09:25 PM

Hillhntr is right.When I first started hunting I looked for a good tree to place my stand.Later I learned to scout and find an area where the deer sign was then look for a tree to place my stand.I will use a pine if possible you can't beat the cover and free cover scent to boot.Good Luck