Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Screw In Tree Steps - Leave in Tree? >

Screw In Tree Steps - Leave in Tree?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Screw In Tree Steps - Leave in Tree?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Screw In Tree Steps - Leave in Tree?

Hey 18 inchs could break a ankle or foot bone glad you got up there
ORIGINAL: fletch920

Always reposition your steps at least every other year. Some trees will actually form a "plug" of sap around the threads. I learned the hard way that this whole "plug" can pull out. Fortunately I had one hand on the stand when it happened and was hanging by one hand. I was able to swing myself around to the next step down and recover but it could have been a bad deal. About 18' up when it happened. I was young and dumb and that one incident gave me a lot of respect for safety.I have since pulled other steps that had to be cleaned with a wire brush because the threads were clear full of rock hard sap. Never leave steps or stands for a period of years. If leaving stands up with straps you should check them Every time. Rodents like to chew the straps sometimes. Better to go to the extra effort than have an accident that may end your hunting forever.