Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Next

Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Next

I am getting to my wit's end. Today, I got up and looked out towards the west side of the pond where I frequently see deer bedding. The snow was falling (imagine that?!?), and through the snow, I could see movement on the far side of the pond. I strained to see what it was through the falling snow. Sure enough, it was several deer running from south to north. There was a dog chasing them. As they ran north, all of a sudden the broke east across the pond dam. As they did, another dog broke from over the hill from the west where the deer broke. I watched as the dogs came as far as mid dam and stopped. The deer continued east across my property and then crossed over to the neighbors. The dogs returned to the west side of the pond and started chasing rabbits. I sat there contemplating the proper move while this was going on. Finally, I went to my truck and drove to the farm to my west. I asked the kid who answered the door if they had a couple of dogs on of which is black with a white spot on it's chest. He replied that they did. I told him that his dogs were running the deer on my property and I would appreciate it if they kept their dogs on their property. His reply was "Well I keep putting them in the fenced area, but they get out somehow." I explained that I deer hunt and his dogs running my property ruins my hunt. After he gave the look of "what do you expect me to do?", I went on to say that if they ruined another hunt, I'd have to put them down. He got upset and slammed the door in my face. I almost feel like it would have been better just to shoot them and drop them over the fence on his side of the property line. Any ideas out there?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Next

If they were doing that on my property constantly.....i might end up shooting them
Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

PS I really hate the thought of killing a dog because the owner is irresponsible. However, I don't want the deer getting conditioned to think that they are not safe in that area that I have designated as a sanctuary for them.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea....i would have a tough time doing it but if you have to........

are they mean dogs that will bight at you if you try to approach them or what will they do if you ever tried to get near them?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 PM

I have no problem shooting any dogs that chase deer or ruin hunts it's the 3 sss
Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if they'd bite or not. Last time they were over here and I tried to approach them, they turned and ran.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol.....too bad you couldnt make something that everytime they came onto your porperty it would give them a nice big shock!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

How old was the "kid" you talked to? Maybe speak to the Dad or Mom? I also think the Game Warden would give you a hand with this if it continues. I don't think they care much for dogs running the local deer.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here we go........
Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM

Call the warden or dog catcher/pound and let the neighbors know that they can either spend the money to fix their enclosure or they can pay the fines for having their dogs running loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.