Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Funny. Lots of you guys come down on me for being "greedy," but I'd bet a lot of the same folks giving me a hard time - will take their best stand sites to the grave. LOL Maybe I'm just more up-front about it than the next guy.
You ain't greedy.You didn't treat me that way.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

So does that mean she shared her cure for cancer with you[8D]
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Just shared some info about a spot I was interested in. He's a good guy in my book.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

So New61375 - you're saying: "I hope you guys all have a great season...as longyou're not shooting atthe deer that I'm trying to hunt."

Translation: "I hope the whole world has a great season.... All except for this one teensy weensy little area in my little slice of heaven, where I hope everyone gets skunked - except for me and my buddies.My buddiesare allowed to shoot any buck except the big one, which is reserved for me and only me."
I am saying exactly what I typed. As far as your translation those are your words not mine. I would say you misinterpreted what I meant and are trying to stretch and morph it to somehow fit into your "argument" and I am using argumnent loosely here. There was bit of sarcasm in the 10 point comment above, but I'm sure you knew that. If I am hunting an area and others are hunting it I don't wish for them to be unsuccessful, if they do have success and especially if they kill a good buck I have seendo I wish I could have put myself in a positionto kill it, sure I do, I am honest enough to admit that but that doesn't mean I won't recognize and congratulatethem on their accomplishment and feel excited for them.Their accomplishmentwill just drive me to hunt harderand try to put myself in a position to score and I don't take anything from them orhope theyare unsuccessful in the future more realistically I will pick their brain and seeifthey are doing somethingdifferently that I might be able to learn from.

There is no slice of heaven I am hunting and there certainly isn't any "reserving" deer. It is open season and that is pretty self explanatory. Do I want to see myself, mydad, mybrother or son kill a buck? Of course I dothey are the guys I hunt with they are my familythere is a strong bond/connection in our camp. That being said we are very friendlywith the neighboring hunters and help them whenever we can(trailing deer, stuck trucks, lost dogs, etc.) and often joke around with them about killing deer, missing deer, and everything else hunting related. They are not bad guys and we are happy for them when they kill even if they are not in "our" camp literally(as far as my family/friends)they are still good hunters and figuratively speaking they are in the same "camp"(legal/ethical hunters)asus so I wish them well. I hope that makes sense.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, even good guys can twist off from time to time.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!! I am such a slow typer. By the time I replied there was like 3 more pages.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Spike

I support 'ANYBODY" who pursues the wiley whitetail provided they follow the rules of fair chase, regardless of whichever "LEGAL" method they so desire. We as hunter's can no longer afford to be fractionalizing ourselves, as the anti's despise 'ALL" forms of hunting. Here's hoping we've all had meaningful experiences this past season. Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Fran, that post wasn't pointed directly at you, just the board in general as of late. I just don't agree with your posts, plain and simple. To me a person can wish for the best for other hunters yet not allow them on his property. The landowner worked hard to get what he has and it is his right to do what he wants with it. Simply by turning the hunter down from his property doesn't mean that he instantly wants him to have bad luck and eat tag soup. It also doesn't mean that hunter can't go to the neighbor and get permission to hunt his property and shoot one of the deer that spent time on the landowners property.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

BG - I never claimed to be a champion of the starving masses or the needy. But I'll humor you...

I donate about $50 a year to thanksgiving and xmas food drives, and took a new football to the Stuff-a-bus for poor kids. The stark reality is that $50 and a football is where I draw the line and say "enough for you, the rest is for me." I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I am doing everything in my power for the good of the needy.

I'm adult enough to admit that I am putting myself in front of those less fortunate. I have a commodity (food) that is in need, and I choose to keep it for myself (except for $50 in canned food that I take to my mom's church). I do it because I'm selfish, and i'm not willing to starve myself so that those less fortunate can eat. It's human nature, and we all do it.

Everybody does it- it's all about where you draw the line. How far are you willing to go?

I say that if you are going to come here and claim to the world that you "support all hunters" carte blanche - then it is what it is. You should do everything in your power to help them, even if it means letting a total stranger come over to your place and shoot a deer.

If not, just admit that you're being greedy, and hording your deer for yourself.

It is what it is.

Where do I draw the line? Friends/Family. I'd put any one of my buddies or family membersin my best stand in the peak of the rut, whether I was tagged out or not. That's just how I roll. Outside that narrow circle - everyone else can fend for themselves. Maybe that makes me some kind of hunting antichrist, who knows?
Thanks...very reasonable...and I think I probably agree.

My point is..... that you probably still wish the poor and hungry kids in your community all the best. You hope they are happy and don't starve and have a fun Christmas. But there is a line you draw...you can't help them all. Just because you draw a line does not make you a hypocrite. You genuinely wish them the best and you support them...you just aren't willing to open your doors to eveyone. Nothing wrong or hypocritical about that.

The same is true when it comes to supporting fellow hunters. It is possible to wish them all the best and support them, without being a hypocriteif you don't allow the masses to hunt in your stand. I think there is somesimilarity there.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I guess I am not understanding the point? If I don't own the land beyond being courteous to one another how can I control who hunt's where.Another hunter has as much a right to it as I do.

Do I wish a stranger well,Yes I do.Am I going to give themthe key's to the castle not likely.Their discovery of prime area's should come as a result of their own efforts.I don't expect any one to direct me to their prime locations,and if I choose to direct someone to mine it is my choice not my obligation.There is a secretive nature to hunting area's.You lower your guard and bring someone in to one of your good area's and all of a sudden it is their spot.

This may be what Fran is getting at,I don't know.There is a reason that I do most of my hunting alone,I do not want these issues to arise.Success in hunting is much like success in any thing else it is typically earned.
Do I wish everyone success yes,do I hope that I will not be competing in area's I wish to hunt yes,if I am is there any thing I can do about it no.No Ill feelings that's just the way it is.
Scot - Here again, you're not going to share EVERY piece of information with every guy you come across (keeping the keys to the castle), right? So, it's fair to say that you're not being as "helpful" as you "could" be, right?

That all goes back to the gamesmanship of public hunting. There are material items stored in the old databank that are only divulged to your closest friends.

You're just not going to spill the beans to just anyone. That's all part of the game, and you're not going to let your hard workgo down the toilet by broadcasting all your scoutingobservations with everyone at the parking lot- I agree 100%.

My point is: This is selfish behavior. There's nothing wrong with it. I do the same thing. But it is what it is.

Just bothers me that some guys are acting like they do everything possible to help fellow hunters succeed - when that is probably not the case. Be it hording deer on private ground and limiting outside access, or hording scouting/field observatory information and not sharing it with the other guys hunting the same area, discouraging a gun hunter from going into a certain area.... Things we all do to tip the scales inour favor...

Greedy? Certainly. A necessary evil where the competition is tough? I think so.

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.